The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2004, 04:50 PM   #1
pepsquad

a shotgun question

a friend of mine just passed away, and his mother was kind enought to give me his shotgun. he's had it for quiet a while and he used to love to hunt birds with it. it's a "revalation" model 356Y- Series A

i know absolutely nothing about shot guns, but i have been invited to go quail hunting around christmas time, so any advice any one can offer about this specific gun would be much appreciated.

also i just noticed that the main body of the shotgun, on the underside in front o the trigger. is a crack, i must say i'm mildly alarmed by it. about an inch long, originates at the end of the gun (towards the muzzle end). any idea how much i would be to get that thing fixed?

thanks in advance,
Sarah

p.s. the shot gun is a 20 guage
Old November 27, 2004, 05:01 PM   #2
JMag

First, I would let a smith take a look at the gun. Second, Western Auto used to market Revelation shotguns. I am not sure who made them, however.

Good luck.
Old November 27, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
pepsquad

smith said there was nothing that could be done that was practicle . i'm going to keep it of course but i guess no quail hunting for me . damn i was really looking forward to going.
Old November 27, 2004, 11:24 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The Western Auto 356Y is actually the Springfield Model 944Y.

Gun Parts Corporation sells parts for these.

Look under Springfield for the 944, 944Y, and the 944Y Series A.

If the actual receiver is cracked, it's no longer safe to shoot, and will not be repairable.
Old December 6, 2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Irishmtnmn2001

Dfaris is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! Be VERY careful! I actually overheard a "gunsmith" tell a newbie-gun owner, that he could weld an aluminum receiver and it would be good as new! YIKES! Hang it on the wall and make it a conversation piece. Better to be talking about the history of the gun.....than the demise of it's owner!