The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2011, 09:37 PM   #26
A_Gamehog

One thing you can't put a price on, you were shooting when some of your friends weren't during the "Ammo Shortage" Having the ability to load and shoot when you want to is priceless. You are immune to elections and the political BS and scare tactics that controls the supply of loaded ammo. Remember we have a Major election next year, so that means? load up on primers now!
Old February 26, 2011, 09:39 PM   #27
DiscoRacing

Quote:
load up on primers now!
Way ahead of ya>>>
Old February 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #28
Crosshair

Add up your food bill for the last couple of years.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:48 PM   #29
4runnerman

I stopped keeping tabs(the wife however did'nt).I was told im getting into $200.00 a month or more. So rather than changing my shooting habits,I just started donating Plasma twice a week.$240.00 month from plasma andit all goes into reloading splys. I also sell brass on the side. I have decided that no matter what your hobbie is,it is going to cost money to do it. I enjoy shooting very much and don't see myself stopping or slowing down.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:07 AM   #30
Shootest

When I die I can’t take the money with me so it is just as well that I enjoy it while I’m here.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:33 AM   #31
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP100man
The ground which you seek to tread upon is considered bad luck & should never be looked back upon !!!
Always look forward as to the money was spent to save even a bigger amount that would/could`ve have been !!!
What he's saying is absolutely right. In economic terms it's referred to as sunk investment. You should never consider the money you have already put into a project when contemplating the virtue of future spending.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:29 AM   #32
Magnum Mike

Not me I dont even own gun anymore! I have one bullet I found and I'm planning on turning it over to the LEC sometime this month or next.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:42 AM   #33
mo84

When ever i get a new bullet to hand load I figure out how much it cost per bullet compaired to buying them from the factory and they are usually half as cheep or cheeper in the case of my 500 magnum bullets. shooting twice as much for the same cost keeps a smile on my face
Old February 27, 2011, 03:02 PM   #34
FrankenMauser

I spend more money, and shoot more.

BUT, I get to shoot far superior ammunition than the factory ammo I would be scraping change together to buy.

Last year, I made some major upgrades in the reloading room, with tax return money. I could have bought a decent car for the amount of cash that went into there (including components, tools, etc.).

One thing I've noticed since I bought my own equipment, was a change in priorities. In the past, if I had $750 worth of "shooting money", I would have spent $700 on a firearm and $50 on some crappy factory ammo - all the while, dreaming of something better.
Now, though... If I have $750, I'll spend ~$250 on components for existing firearms, and put the rest in my "hobby" savings account.
Old February 28, 2011, 11:03 AM   #35
spclPatrolGroup

If my girlfriend can save money by going out shopping and hitting all the sales, then I can save money by reloading, no matter what the cost.
Old February 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #36
Crashbox

I've only been reloading for about 16 months and I shudder at the mere thought of adding it all up- it's probably somewhere around $3000+ so far. I have yet to figure out exactly what sort of controlled substance they add to smokeless powder to make this hobby so bleep-double-blank-censored addictive!
Old February 28, 2011, 10:15 PM   #37
Mr. Wild

I have on occasion wondered what I've spent.
But I don't want to know, I'm afraid I'll give myself a heart attack.

I figure if I hadn't spent the money on guns/reloading stuff I'd have a lot more money in the bank.
But then when I kick off the wife and daughters would just spend it on clothes, shoes, etc.
You know silly stuff.
Old February 28, 2011, 11:04 PM   #38
kylewood

Quote:
it just a primer. glasses and gloves and pry it out
+1

Wood
Old March 1, 2011, 04:42 PM   #39
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I don't expect to save money reloading, it just causes me to shoot more than I would.
Old March 1, 2011, 05:11 PM   #40
beex215

you just get more for the money. for example i spend 100$ of factory 9mm on any single order of 500fmj. im still going to spend the 100$ on material to build 1000 lead cast loaded ammo.
Old March 1, 2011, 05:22 PM   #41
m&p45acp10+1

I have not realy saved any money. I still spend all of it on components rather than ammo. Though I do have a whole lot more ammo to shoot. I go shoot a whole lot more though.
Old March 1, 2011, 05:23 PM   #42
Xfire68

There are down sides to reloading! Like buying new and better presses and dies and scales and more bullets and more powder and more primers!

It never ends but, we like to shoot and we would either A.) Not shoot as much or B.) Pay 2-3 times what your Midway USA bill is to shoot as much as we are not with lesser ammo? I think we are doing the right thing by spending the money on reloading!
Old March 1, 2011, 07:01 PM   #43
snipecatcher

The last time I added up Midway, it came out to $8K or so. But that's not just reloading stuff. I'm sorta glad they don't have a TOTAL you've spent, which is probably good for sales. If people regularly saw how much they spent, they might not buy as much! Midway is my number 1 favorite business.
Old March 1, 2011, 07:16 PM   #44
TimW77

IllinoisCoyoteHunter, what you and everyone else that has ever posted a similar comment conveniently have failed to mention is, that the amount of money you spent has allowed you to reload 2-3 times as many rounds as you could have if you bought factory ammo. (unless you buy every useless gadget or buy the wrong/cheap equipment the first time)

Remember telling a HALF-truth is NOT telling the truth.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:56 AM   #45
Jim243

It's not what I spent at Midway in the last 8 years. It's all the rifles and pistols that were bought during the same time period (now that was expensive), but it just gave me more reason to reload more.

Jim
Old March 3, 2011, 11:16 AM   #46
CPTMurdoc30

Your first problem is ordering from Midwayusa.com

I use midsouth and Widener's myself. Used powder valley as well.....