The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
shepheard

bullet reloading recipie

I have some 158gr semi jack hollow points to start reloading. Seems like most bullet designs are full jacket hollow points, xyp's and gold dots. Would this be safe to get starting data from or should I try to just find loads with the same bullet profile. I have heard that as long as the weight is the same your ok. I will be loading medium power target loads for now but after a little experiance I would loke to load some full power mags. This will be shot out of a gp-100 if this helps. Thank you all much for your help.
Old June 4, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Sevens

The best way to obtain data for a bullet with a different makeup than what you've been able to find is to contact the bullet manufacturer if that's possible. If your bullets are from one of the big names in the industry, they have folks who specifically work with the public on questions like these. Most take phone calls and e-mails. Tell 'em the caliber and the powder you have on hand, and the firearm you intend to use them in, and they'll give you charge weights.

That's the best way.

The way many of us do it is to try and find a similar bullet in the data and roll with that powder charge-- if it's a starting charge, or a REDUCED max load. As long as you aren't approaching max loads and you are starting well under, you can make up a few round and inspect as you go, giving the brass a real look-over as soon as you shoot them. You can work your way to the max load, as long as you do it properly-- inspecting cases all along the way and looking out for signs of excessive pressure.
Old June 5, 2008, 09:08 AM   #3
SL1

I am not sure what you mean by semi-jacketed. Speer makes (made?) some "3/4-jacket" bullets that looked like semi-wadcutters with a jacket cup over just the straight part of the bullet, sort of crimped at the forward edge. But, they only make them in 146 and 160 grains in .357 cal. So, I am not sure what 158 grain bullets you actually have.

This was Speer's original bullet design, and it has some history you should know about if your bullets are anything like Speer's bullets:

First, Speer's old reloading data did NOT show differences between same-weight bullets of this design and the more common jacketed-hollowpoints and flatpoints like the current XTPs and Gold Dots, BUT IT SHOULD HAVE. The reason is that the "3/4-jacket" design puts a lot more of the bullet inside the case than the other jacket designs, which raises pressures. So, max loads for the "3/4-jacket" bullets should be less than the other jacketed designs of the same weight. Many shooters came to that conclusion when working up loads with this older design and Speer's old data. But, that was when Speer was loading .357 magnums to "less than 46,000 CUP." Current starting loads for same-weight jacketed bullets should be OK with these "3/4-jacket" designs now that the data are for the new SAAMI pressure standard of "35,000 psi." Just don't expect to get to max load values for the current jacketed bullet designs.

On the other hand, LOW POWER LOADS HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH THIS DESIGN. Light loads with fast-burning powders can result in gas pressures dropping so low in revolver barrels that the jacket sticks in the bore while the lead core pulls out by momentum and exits the muzzle. The core is not bonded, and there is very little jacket that is actually in front of the lead in this design. When that happens, it leaves an obstruction for the next bullet down the barrel that can damage the gun, and maybe injure the shooter or the shooters next to him.

So, these bullets are really only suited to medium-to-heavy power loads, with care taken to keep them from being over-pressure from using inapplicable data.

One final problem with these bullets is that they do not have very good terminal performance. The soft lead nose tends to easily blow off when the target is hit, but the jacket does not easily expand. That leaves a very blunt, nearly wadcutter shaped bullet that is inside the unexpanded cylindrical jacket. That is certainly more effective than a round-nosed, full-metal jacket, (which is what this early design was intended to compete with), but it is nowhere near the performance of an XTP or Gold Dot.

So, these bullets do have the advantage of not leading the bore, compared to lead bullets, but that is about all they have going for them in the modern reloading situation.

SL1
Old June 5, 2008, 06:41 PM   #4
RidgwayCO

Remington makes a bullet they call a "semi-jacketed hollow point" (SJHP) with a scalloped jacket just below the soft lead hollow point nose. I've shot the 125gr, 140gr, and 180gr versions of these bullets in my .357 Magnum to good effect. I especially like them in 180gr. Unfortunately, like every other bullet lately, their price has gone up a fair ways...

My suggestion is to use the lowest start load data (at least 10% below max) you can find for 158gr jacketed bullets by either Speer, Hornady, or Sierra, and work up slowly from there (if you feel the need).
Old June 5, 2008, 08:37 PM   #5
GP100man

comfort zone

when you get a comfortable load with those semi jacketed bullets & decide to bump up the charge watch for core seperation , the speers i had would seperate on upper end loads for 158gr bullets.

GP100man
Old June 5, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
shepheard

The bullets I have are made by Zero bullet. I just got one of those complete loading manuels for 357. The bullet looks just like the Speer JHC, #8360. This manuel looks like load data from long ago,could be wrong. I have the older hornady and speer book and just also the lee book. I also emailed Zero and recieved some load data from them. They gave me 2 loads for this bullet here. One used H38 and the other H110. Thank you all very much for your input, greatly apreciated.