The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 18, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1
WildWilly

M1A Scope Mount

I am about to have a new M1A. I want a scope mount that will fit the reciever with no modifications (An M1A, not an M14). I also want a scope mount that is tried and true in which I will not have the worry of it coming loose. What is the very best on the market? I have heard Springfield, Sadlak, Bassett, Smith, Pro-MAg, and others. I have heard good and bad things about them all. Does anyone have any experience with one that has not given them ANY problems?
Old October 19, 2011, 04:23 AM   #2
ace4059

Be prepared to spend some money. I looked at mounting a scope on my M1A. I decided against it because of the high check weld you have to take so you can see through the scope.

A few companies make a scope mount for the M1a. The Springfiled armory mount for their rifles are a little cheaply build. They run about $125 and that was what I was going to get until I did a little research. They did not tighten very well and the scope easily lost zero. The best one I found through a few hours of reading was one that cost about $350. I dont remember the brand, but if I heard it, I would remember. It would hold zero, was quality build, and everyone had good reviews on it. It seemed what most were buying for scope mounts. Ill look for it and post up the brand when I find it. Also dont forget a padded check rest to go along with the mount.
Old October 19, 2011, 04:27 AM   #3
ace4059

I believe the brand was smith enterprises
Old October 19, 2011, 05:09 AM   #4
cptbhern

Basset Machine makes the best mount,does not require removine the stripper clip guide,and it is easily removed if you want to use your iron sights,plus it will return to within 1/2 moa of your original settings when you re-attatch the scope.
Not the prettiest,not tacticool but it works.
I have a Socom 16 in a Sage EBR chasis.

Check them here:
http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_home_buynow.htm
Old October 19, 2011, 07:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Sadlak Titanium is the best you can buy. Sadlak is the only one that has a inspection kit so you can check the outside dimensions of the receiver. If the receiver is not 100% in spec, Sadlak can modify the mount so it well fit your receiver perfectly.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_inspect_kit.html

The Sadlak mount is a improved Brookfield Precision Tool mount. Available in three version to suit your budget.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_improvements_to_bpt.html

I know I sound like a Sadlak sales rep , but after fighting other so called high end mount installations on late M1A's, the Sadlak kit takes all the frustration out of the job.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6
geetarman

I have a loaded M1A with the full length VLTOR rail. I have used a scope on the rifle and may do that again. I find that irons really work well and were I to buy the rifle today, I would opt for a full wooden stock.

I can take the scope off and reinstall and come right back to zero, but the rifle just seems to look like a starwars castoff with all that stuff on it.

It feels pretty good to hit the 200/300 yard poppers and gongs with iron sights, and you can do it all day long and not have to fiddle with the focus/parallax issue.

The iron sights on that rifle are really good.

Geetarman
Old October 19, 2011, 03:52 PM   #7
WildWilly

I do not care about the price tag as long as I get a mount I can trust. The gun is a full sized standard M1A with the walnut stock. I have read about all the mounts and no one can agree on which one is the best.
Old October 19, 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
mkk41

This is an Armscorp copy of the BPT mount. Been on about 15yrs and thousands of rounds and 3 scopes. Ain't come loose yet. Red Loctite and primer.

Tags
308 , m1a , mount , scope , springfield