The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 29, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1
dv0042

Interesting isn't it?

This will probably get me bounced, but what the hell. I find it interesting that there are so many closed threads on this forum. 9 out of 50 on this page alone...that's 18% folks. It seems that staff is overly concerned with dictating the course of discussions. Rather ironic, given that we all share an interest in a sport that is constantly vilified...and one that many people would take away from us with the stroke of a pen.

"Toodaloo, go with God, and don't take any wooden nickles"
-George Carlin
Old November 29, 2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Keltyke

What's REALLY interesting is people will complain endlessly in public, but will never PM a couple of Mods and ask them.

Some also forget this is a PRIVATE forum, and is run the way the owner specifies. Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

Most of the threads I've seen closed are either off topic, have degenerated into pi$$ing contests, contain prohibited language, or are full of personal innuendo, attacks, and vilification.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
hoytinak

Good post Keltyke...couldn't have said it better myself.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:37 PM   #4
SilentHitz

Quote:
Some also forget this is a PRIVATE forum, and is run the way the owner specifies. Posting here is a privilege, not a right.
At least someone on here gets it. OOPS Hoyt beat my post...add him to the list.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:40 PM   #5
dv0042

OK I get it...post only if you agree with everything you see...nice. Enjoy yourselves fellas.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Maybe read the rules of this board would be a good idea before starting threads you know aren't within the guidelines.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't feed the trolls.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 29, 2008, 05:45 PM   #7
SilentHitz

Quote:
OK I get it...post only if you agree with everything you see...nice.
No, just abide by the rules you were supposed to read before you joined. Geeze
Old November 29, 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Bud Helms

dv0042,

I'm thinking it is no mystery what brings this post of yours. I recently closed this thread started by you and you probably are feeling offended by that closing.

There's no rationale for this reaction. I recommended you read this post to explain why I was closing that thread.

So you come here and complain about thread closings in general. My first response is that your complaint, considering the manner it has been made, will have no effect whatsoever on the management policy on this board. My second response is that comments like, "OK I get it...post only if you agree with everything you see...nice. Enjoy yourselves fellas.", show a childish lack of understanding and unwillingness to listen to the explanations given for our actions.

Yours is not the only political thread closed here, as you noted. Had you read the referenced link, you would know why this practice continues.

TFL is different from nearly every other gunny board you will visit. Moderator actions are often discussed at length in the staff lounge before final action is taken. 99.9% of the time they are final, but I myself have reopened threads I had closed after a civil, adult exchange with the thread starter. That won't happen in this case.

We don't have "personality cowboys" on staff here, but we do have some in the membership.

Thanks for the support and understanding shown by the other members in this thread, ... which is now closed.
Closed Thread