The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2002, 10:50 PM   #1
speedyguy

shot gun repair

Hi everyone, I just purchased a Henry Richards 12 gauge double barrell, hammer shotgun.
It is in quite bad condition, I was wondering where I could get parts for this the R/H hammer is broken and the barrells are quite pitted. I was told I could hone them out, is this true and if so how do you do it . I would also like to know if there is anywhere I can purchase new parts for this rifle, also the stock is damaged.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:01 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Speedy, welcome to TFL..

I'm sure we can figure out what to do - it's a bit beyond me, personally. I know a couple of good shotgun smiths that can salvage the shotgun if it's possible. Just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old November 13, 2002, 06:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, honing thins the bbl metal, sometimes fatally.

Second, while Westly Richards was an English maker who made fine guns, a lot of cheapo clunkers were made in Belgium and elsewhere and stamped with names that sounded similar, like W Richards, W A Greener,etc.This might be one of those.

As with ALL old guns, a good smith should check it out before firing, and if t'were mine, I might fire the first shot off after getting it checked in the woods with the thing tied to a tree and with a long string leading from the trigger to my well protected hand. I'm old because I'm cautious, shotguns and grenades have about the same working pressures...
Old November 13, 2002, 07:57 AM   #4
PJR

Bad condition, damaged stock, broken hammer, pitted barrels, uncertain lineage and those are the problems you know about now. There may well be others.

At the very least this sounds like a major project for a gunsmith qualified to restore fine doubles. They don't come cheap and the time involved would be considerable. Whether it's worth it, is up to you. I've gone this route and eventually poured more money than I can to think about into a gun that never did work properly.

This is probably a Belgian gun and as Dave noted they put a lot of cheap guns on the market in the early 1900s. I don't want to burst your bubble but to me this sounds like a wall hanger.

Paul