The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2002, 10:28 PM   #1
itgoesboom

Red Dot on "Social" SG???

Wanted to get some opinions here.

I purchased a Mossburg 500 a few years back, mainly for home defense, and although i am pretty pleased with it, its sights (lack of) kinda annoy me.

While the bead site is fine for shooting clays, i find myself wishing for ghost ring sights when i shoot buck shot or slugs.

Unfortunatly, the 500 that i have doesn't have the capability for ghost rings, so i am looking for an alternative.

Would a red-dot sight work as an alternative to ghost rings?

I.G.B.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:15 AM   #2
Hadaway

Yes, a red dot is a pretty good choice for a shotgun, but it depends on the shotguns primary purpose. You must remember that most red dot sights use batteries, and they will go out on you at the time you need them most.

If the guns primary purpose is home defense, stick with the bead. A red dot with dead batteries will block your bead and at home defense distances, a bead will serve the purpose. If you use it more for hunting or range use, go for a red dot.

The reason you don't see many aftermarket ghost rings for Mossbergs is the placement of the safety.

Thanks,
Lee Hadaway
www.thearmsroom.com

http://www.thearmsroom.com
Old November 12, 2002, 01:07 AM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

what does the top of your 500 look like? if there are holes drilled and tapped in the top of your receiver, then you can put mossberg factory GR's on it.

the front sight needs to be attached by silver solder or screws, though.

if you have acess to a milling machine, you can screw on the front sight yourself, or a competent gunsmith can do it.

ghost rings can be mounted on your shotgun.
Old November 12, 2002, 01:21 AM   #4
itgoesboom

Andrew,

You just made my day. I will have to look into having them mounted. My SG does have hole drilled and tapped, ready for a scope mount, and i know that the bead front site is screwed in on the barrell, so maybe i can have them installed.

Where can i pick some up?

I.G.B.
Old November 12, 2002, 04:49 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good gunsmiths can furnish and install the sights you want.They aren't essential for HD, but are a good idea for slug work.

HTH...
Old November 12, 2002, 05:35 PM   #6
jthuang

Brownell's ... last I checked, you can get Mossy factory ghost rings for around $50 per set.

MMC makes more expensive ghost rings but you can get nice options like tritium tubes.

Justin