The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1
templar333

Shotgun Cases & Bags - Feedback please

Hi folks,

I'm on to my next project. My last one on range bags received tremendous feedback and I thank you all for this. After getting my range bags out, I've received some request from stores for shotgun cases especially those for 32" pistol grip shotguns.

As most of you know, I produce my products based largely on feedback and I would appreciate it if you folks could kindly give me a hand with this.

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, feedback on cases for defense shotguns (like the pistol grips ones) and bags & cases for sporting clays.

Your likes & dislikes
A particular brand you'd recommend
If you have one, what would you do to improve on it
And other "bells & whistles" you'd like to see on these

My sincerest thanks in advance.
Old November 5, 2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

I'd like to see a case for a defensive shotgun that was sized for a shotgun with a full stock, and didn't look like a shotgun case.
all of the cases i have scream "THIS CASE HAS A GUN IN IT" and i'd like at least a couple that didn't. I've seen some soft guitar cases that look like they'd work well but they're cheaply made.
Old November 5, 2002, 02:08 PM   #3
bamf

I'd like a decent breakdown case that doesn't cost 400 bucks. I'd like someone to take one of those nice cases for the expensive shotguns (Kreighoff, kolar etc.) reproduce them without the logo and sell it for a reasonable price.
Old November 5, 2002, 03:15 PM   #4
templar333

Andrew, I've actually gotten request for something similar. The problem really, is during the sales portion of it. Stores are somewhat not inclined to carry these cases. When it comes to buying, they seem to want the standard black tactical cases and bags. Nevertheless, I'm working on it. might come up with something acceptable on both sides. Thank you. Appreciate the idea.

bamf, Krieghoff cases are usuall the hard ones (from Americase). If you look at my bags, I usually work with cordura type material. Question for you: do you think wingshooters might be receptive to a padded case modeled after the hard ones? I'm thinking about getting a rectangular one done with the insides like the Krieghoff case where you have a thin long space for the barrel and below it, the main space for the rest of the assembly.

What I'm trying to figure out is:

1. Should I make a case that can hold one or more broken down shotguns? Maybe both?
2. Space for multiple barrels / chokes?
3. Additional rectangular storage pouches outside for...?

There are always questions

Appreciate the feedback guys.
Old November 5, 2002, 06:42 PM   #5
BigD

I would like a case similar to the hard shell, green Remington case that my 11-87 came in. I like the separate fitted compartments for the receiver and two barrels but that hard plastic is just crap.

Read between the lines;
Criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself,
And feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--
Old November 8, 2002, 06:28 PM   #6
templar333

Man, I am getting a lot of feedback on this from all over so I might as well update everyone.

I had originally planned on putting 3 products out:

a) A rectangular cordura case that has 2 separate sides; one for the receiver and the other for the barrel plus a spare barrel. Possibly with 3 rectangular external pocuhes that are detachable (non velcro - not big on velcro on the outside).

b) A sporting clay bag also out of cordura whose main compartment (inside) can either be one large one for those who carry their shells in boxes OR using a modular velcro system, it can be divided into 2 or 3 separate ones for those who prefer to dump their shells. Three external pockets to hold everything from choke sets and keys, tools, eyes and ears, etc. and a separate water bottle holder. The package will come with a nylon gun slip, a hand towel and possibly a fold-out empty shell carrier like the ones on the new Brownings.

c) A 32" cordura slip / case for a pistol grip shotgun with detachable pouches outside.

Here's what I've gathered....most sporting clay folks usually stick to the case that their shotguns come in so the first case might not sell too well.

Next, a couple of folks suggested a cigar holder for the clay bag. Is this for real ? I smoke a pipe and I usually carry mine everywhere but how many of you really take your cigars to the range?

Finally, no comments on the case for the pistol grip shotgun.

Boy, I'm having fun and learning a lot. Thanks everyone especially 'trapmonkey'.
Old November 8, 2002, 07:14 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Second what Andrew said. I transferred a gun in a parking lot today and wished for something less flashy or in a color that does not indicate firearms - hot pink or kelly green..

Square with a stif liner would be nice. Generic as to size, maybe some velcro backing sewn in strips inside for multiple tie down straps.
Old November 10, 2002, 09:41 AM   #8
Captain Bligh

I've been known to take a cigar to the range. I could be interested in a case with a cigar holder--but I suspect there would be limited interest for this item?

RJ
Old November 10, 2002, 11:22 AM   #9
templar333

Gizmo99, I hear what you're saying. Trying to be discreet is really not that easy. Having the case in a color other than black will help but at the same time, the size and shape of it will still radiate gun. Tough subject, mon ami. And I don't think you want colors like bright read that clearly 'shouts out'. This is one that has got me thinking. Any ideas?

Erick, I like the Waller discreet case too, however, I don't really like the idea of having all the accessories, especially anything metal on metal in the same compartment. I would do at least 2 separate sleeves in one compartment for the receiver and barrel (break action) and another just for the other stuff like chokes, etc.

Captain, that cigar holder is not gonna take much space at all and I would include it for the fun of it. Non smokers will always figure another use for it

Hey, guys, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.
Old November 12, 2002, 05:48 PM   #10
jthuang

From a guitarist and a shotgun lover, here is the solution for you all who don't want a case to scream "gun":

1. Buy a hard-shell shotgun case. One without the molded "buck in a forest" scene.
2. Go to local music store and pick up a few guitar company stickers. Go for the better known mfrs ... everyone knows Fender, Gibson, Les Paul, etc.
3. Apply said stickers to case.

Voila, you're done.

Justin
Old November 12, 2002, 06:57 PM   #11
templar333

Hey Justin,

Good hearing from you. It's been awhile.

Funny you should bring that up. Knew someone who had the same concern some time back and the solution was to get a hard case multiple fishing rod holder, modify the inside to hold the gun and then cover the case with stickers from fishing companies like Abu, Daiwa, etc.

Very convincing it was.
Old November 12, 2002, 08:43 PM   #12
jthuang

Helmie, good to see you too. Coming up to PA for the Trident Concepts Combative Pistol 2 next July? Hope to see you there.

Justin
Old November 13, 2002, 07:37 AM   #13
templar333

Justin, unless any last minute work creeps up, I am really looking forward to it. Hope all's been well with you, mate.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:29 AM   #14
jthuang

Good to hear it, will see you there!

BTW, you asked about ideas for defense shotgun cases ... I don't know anything about wingshooting or clays so I can only chime in on defense gun cases.

1. A decent shoulder strap is key. I have one of the cheapo black nylon "gunshow special" cases and the shoulder strap is poorly designed. The strap is attached to the case at (a) the upper front side and (b) the lower rear side. I don't know what braincase decided to make it this way, but I think it would be much easier to use if the strap was attached to the case on the same side (i.e., front - front) instead of different sides.

Another consideration is a non-slip pad (rubber faced?) on the shoulder strap so that you don't have to worry about the strap sliding off your shoulder if you are carrying other gear. If you are going to a IPSC or IDPA 3 gun match, you've got plenty of other stuff to carry and you don't want slippage.

2. Outside accessory pockets (the "rectangular pouches" you mention). Defense gun shooters don't really need space for separate barrels unless they use the same gun for hunting. I don't bring separate chokes with me either.

However, what a lot of IPSC and IDPA 3 gun shooters need is separate pockets for different types of ammo. For IDPA shotgun matches, I've used slugs and buckshot. For IPSC, it's birdshot (for steel targets) and slugs. It's nice to have separate pouches so you can keep the two ammo types separate. Otherwise, you get them mixed up in the same pouch and it's a hassle.

3. Some IPSC 3 gun shooters use scopes on their shotguns so the case should have enough "height" to accommodate them. FWIW, I don't use a scope on my shotgun.

4. I wonder if it's possible to adapt my "guitar case" camo to a nylon case. Maybe a velcro patch or two on the outside of a case so you can take a Gibson or Fender patch and velcro it to the outside of the case, making it look like a nylon guitar case?

Justin
Old November 13, 2002, 05:14 PM   #15
BigD

For those looking for discreetness in a hard case, I think the perfect platform would be an electric guitar case. Slap a bunch of Fender stickers on it and nobody would even think there's a gun in there.

Read between the lines;
Criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself,
And feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--
Old November 14, 2002, 09:00 AM   #16
templar333

Justin,

A good shoulder strap, I concur, is important and that's one thing that we're working on right now. Unfortunately, you find a lot of basic straps on cases and bags simply 'cos of the cost factor involved. If a bag retails for $30, there really is so much that we can expect from it. However, for me, the bottom line during product development is essentially getting the very best that we could possibly produced within budget. There are lots of good straps available out there but some of them are about the price of an entry level case or bag. A good strap, with proper placement and no-slip, if possible. Gotcha

I also concur that defense shotgunners don't need a space for spare barrles. It was actually meant for a case for a sporting clay shotgunner with a break action. My apologies for the confusion.

Thanks for the heads-up on the different types of ammo for 3 gun types. Out of curiosity, how do you carry your 3 guns for such events? Individually cased or do you have something where you can carry all 3 together?

I've gotten a lot of similar feedback from the other forums with regards to a guitar case (discreet). I will be looking into the development of one, however, I can only do soft cases (cordura types) and not hard cases. I was given the opportunity to work with an aluminum case manufacturer but I passed to focus on soft goods instead.
Old November 14, 2002, 09:50 AM   #17
jthuang

Helmie:

I agree that staying in budget is key. Myself, I wouldn't mind paying for a premium quality product -- as I've come to realize, going cheap on certain things just isn't worth it. But you've got to keep your target customer base in mind -- whatever their buying preferences are!

As for carrying around guns during 3 gun matches -- the most popular method seems to be individual cases for each long gun. Handguns are typically kept in belt holsters. I have a hard case that holds two long guns but it is very large and heavy, so I go with the individual case method. The high-end shooters have small handcarts to lug around their guns and gear.

Velcro patches on Cordura could work ... just an idea.

Justin
Old November 14, 2002, 05:06 PM   #18
Dfariswheel

I'll throw in my 10 cents for a low profile shotgun bag.
Most gun bags LOOK like gun bags. Their long and in a somewhat triangular, flat gun shape.

My idea would be a zip open short bag in a narrow design simular to a pool cue carrier. When open there would be two halves. Each side would have a padded pocket. One side would have pockets for the barrel, mag extension, and ammo, the other side a padded pocket for the receiver.

When zipped shut this would be only as long as the receiver assembly, and in a more "square" thickness and width, than the usual flat envelope look. It would be made much "tighter" than the usual overly roomy gun bag.

Throw in a brightly colored label, that has some non-gun related text and logo, and a "non-tactical" sling that woud look right on a musical instrument case. The final product would look like a medium length squarish, narrrow bag for some tool or instrument.
Old November 16, 2002, 04:57 PM   #19
sm

Range Bag: 10X ample room for shells, eyes ears...etc. has a very discreet leather logo. Neighbor thought it was a diaper bag for my niece.

My 3bbl set hardcase looked like a small old fashioned suitcase.

Like the breakdown case for being discreet for a single gun, tan, brown-no camo, not black. have thrown this inside a Spaulding duffle bag.

Another shooter used one of those canvas totes artist use.

Living in Apts, or Condo's, one doesn't like to alert attention. Even fishing labels, well, some people steal anything I guess. Neighbor had Plano tackle box stolen--just held old door knobs, electrical parts--junk stuff--doing some misc repairs at his mom's house.

I actually use backpacks for handguns, neighbors used to seeing me carrying one. Just have to be sure I take the correct one to class--exactly alike. something on this order in a take down perhaps.