The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 1, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Mini-14 Target

I hear that Ruger is putting a rubber balancer on the Mini-14 and getting exceptional accuracy. Does anyone have one with some feedback? Even tried one out.
I would love to get into a autoloader thats not a AR and approaches bolt performance.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Nobody has seen or shot the target model???
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 3, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
tobnpr

I like the Mini...but it's M-14 inspired action is not as smooth as an AR; IMO it's just a minor downside as a trade-off to it's utter reliability.

There are match barrels made for them, it would be an interesting project.

I think in the end, for the same dollars spent an AR build would be more accurate. Then again, having a tricked out- and accurate- Mini has always had the "something different" going for it.

I would go with the Tactical... while the harmonic dampener is interesting (I'm not sure what you mean by a "rubber balancer"), I've yet to hear someone report on it. I can't help but think if they were effective, everyone would have one.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I hear that Ruger is putting a rubber balancer on the Mini-14 and getting exceptional accuracy.
You heard this or can you cite a study, review or some other material showing it to be true? It would be extremely easy to prove if true.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
BoogieMan

Quote:
You heard this or can you cite a study, review or some other material showing it to be true? It would be extremely easy to prove if true.
I herd it. Owner of LGS told me that several customers were getting very good accuracy. Needless to say he sells the them. Thats why I ask here.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 6, 2013, 06:02 AM   #6
kozak6

I just looked at Ruger's website. Nope.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I herd it. Owner of LGS told me that several customers were getting very good accuracy. Needless to say he sells the them. Thats why I ask here.
I'd ask for proof before throwing money into it.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

By balancer do you mean something on the end of the barrel? Generally the thin barrel minis, especially 180 series rifles, have greatly improved accuracy with almost anything for extra weight on the end of the barrel. Flash hider, suppressor, large thread protector, etc. The accu-strut is pretty cheap and by almost all reviews does wonders although it isn't really just weight.

A picture of this item might get you more of a response as I don't know what it is.
The ruger target rifle has an adjustible harmonics balancer, but I believe it is steel.