The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2002, 09:21 PM   #1
ddelange

HELP: Where to find pistol grip with full stock for Moss590?

I have a Mossberg 590A1 with a 20" barrel and a standard sized stock. I would like to replace it with a standard sized stock with a pistol grip? Any references? Any legal concerns with the modifications?

p.s. I'm also looking for a tactical sling for the 590A1 that allows the SG to be carried in front, pointing down, resting on strong side shoulder. I've seen them for Remingtons but can't run one down for my Mossberg. One problem: I had to mill off the bayonet lug when I attached my Sure Fire front end, so no natural swivel or anything with which to attach a sling.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old November 14, 2002, 10:04 PM   #2
jayhway

For a PG full stock, your major choices are Speedfeed or Choate. However, I wouldn't recommend a pg full stock on a 590A1, because of the location of the saftey. With the PG stock, reaching the safety is awkward, so that's why I never put it on my 590A1. There shouldn't be any legal concerns with a PG full stock, because it meets the required length. There wouldn't even be a problem if you went with a pistol grip only.

For the tactical sling, I'd look at a CQB solutions sling. It has a mounting plate, so the bayo stud isn't needed. It's also fairly cheap and can be used in various positions.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:48 AM   #3
Airwolf

I put a standard 14" Speedfeed stock and a Giles sling with quick release on my 590A1. Works like a charm.

The sling is a godsend as the A1 with a Surefire light, 8 in the tube, 1 in the pipe, 6 in the sidesaddle and 4 in the Speedfeed isn't the most lightweight weapon in the inventory (but it makes a hell of a club if 19 rounds doesn't do the job!)

Got them both from Arizona Gun Runners http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/. I'd give them a hearty "thumbs up". Never had a problem dealing with them on several occasions.
On Sepember 13, 2004 "Free America" became a bit more free with the sunset of the AWB. On that same day California banned the .50BMG. The nation looks to California as a "trend setter". Ignore what happened here at your own peril.

California: The New And Improved CCCP
Old November 15, 2002, 02:59 AM   #4
sfoo

I have one on my mossberg 500. They work nice and are more...handy or ergonomic I suppose. the safety is not as readily accesible, though. I don't consider that a huge issue, though, i'm not doing dynamic entries or home defense with it.
Old November 15, 2002, 03:38 AM   #5
ddelange

Quote:
For a PG full stock, your major choices are Speedfeed or Choate. However, I wouldn't recommend a pg full stock on a 590A1, because of the location of the saftey.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not worried about the safety issue. I keep my Moss chamber empty/safety off.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old November 18, 2002, 07:46 PM   #6
Ledbetter

Then check out

www.cheaperthandirt.com

shotgun accessories.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:13 PM   #7
ddelange

Thanks for the cheaper than dirt site; have bought ammo from them before, but didn't think about them for SG accessories.
Old November 18, 2002, 10:04 PM   #8
mons-meg

Airwolf, I take it the quick release sling you are talking about has plenty of slack in it? I have had a hard time finding long enough slings for my 590 (not A1). I also need to get a bayonet...

Edit: Pulled up the website, and now see that you are talking about a "tactical" sling that doesn't use the built in swivel studs, is that correct?
Old November 21, 2002, 12:42 AM   #9
Bruce626

The ATI full stock with pg has worked well for me on my M500 and the safety issue can be overcome with practice. Cheaper than Choate if you are interested in saving a buck or two.