The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2002, 09:07 PM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

M 37 or 870 For HD

Which of these two, in .12 ga, is the better choice for HD? I am inclined to think the Remington's action is stronger than the Ithaca's and that this is probably the better choice. OTOH, do you think the Ithaca's lack of a disconnector and subsequent "slam-fire" capability is asset or detriment for HD. What are the pros and cons of both?
Old November 17, 2002, 11:47 PM   #2
Romulus

Newer Ithacas have the disconnector. I know my Model 87 (sic) does...Aside from that I don't know why the Remington's action would be intrinsically stronger. I use the 870 for HD because the grip fits my hand better, and only for that reason.

My Ithaca is also so damn pretty I'd hate to bang it up in a confrontation

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old November 18, 2002, 04:43 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've been trying to wear out an 870 for 40 years and haven't yet. I doubt the results would change if I were using a 37.

I'm no fan of the slam fire feature, but regard it as something proper training can overcome.

The 870, if empty, can be charged by throwing a shell in the ejection port and closing it up. The 37 only loads from the mag.

More aftermarket stuff for the 870. No big.

Much as I love my 870s, the 37s a great choice also.Get the one that FEELS best...
Old November 18, 2002, 07:33 AM   #4
Lone Star

I like the slide release for the M37 being right in front on the trigger guard.

Theoretically, the Remington may be stronger because the bolt locks into a barrel extension. In practice, particularly in sporting applications other than really heavy doses of clay target shooting, I doubt if it makes much difference.

You may want to see if the library has a copy of Elmer Keith's, "Shotguns", which explains why Keith thought the then-new M870 was such an advance in pump shotgun design. However, he admitted that the M12, the M37, etc. were hard to wear out.

Lone Star