The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
vector91

Best concealed carry gun

So up until now I have carried a ruger lcr looking for a good semi auto hand gun to carry. Was thinking of something bigger then a 9mm such as a .40 or .45 but still concealable. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Also looking in the price range of up to 500-600.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Last edited by vector91; February 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

I prefer polymer single-stacks for every-day-carry:

Walther PPS in .40...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/49847

Glock 36 .45...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/73560

Budget: Kahr CW.45 or CW40... or CM40 if you want to go smaller:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52707

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/cata...ducts_id=14227
Old February 13, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
gordyt

Vector91 I really like the S&W M&P Shield in .40 caliber. They are a little hard to find right now. The MSRP is $449.00 but often sell for more. Our local Academy store sells the 9mm version for $399.00.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
vector91

Thank you very much I will look into those.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
vector91

I have heard mixed things about the .40 have you had any problems with it in your use
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

the new springfield armory xds is a great size for a very concealable 45.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 13, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
18DAI

Glock 30S

S&W 4513TSW - early 6-round variant.

HK45C

Glock 36

Colt Defender

The HK45C and Colt Defender are a little higher than the price range you are looking at. Regards 18DAI
Old February 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
AndyWest

+1 what dan said. Check out the Springfield XDs line. Seems marketed toward what you want.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
vector91

Thanks 18DAI I accually really like the Colt defender, the only ones I have been able to find are 850-900 is that a good price also have you ever fired one?
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
vector91

Thank you both I just started looking into the XDs as well I like them alot and the price isnt too bad has either of you fired one before?
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
RBid

The best CCW is one...

1. You'll carry every day.

2. ...with which you can quickly put multiple hits on target with while shooting one handed, on the move.

3. that is reliable, and corrosion resistant.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
AndyWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector91
Thank you both I just started looking into the XDs as well I like them alot and the price isnt too bad has either of you fired one before?
I haven't fired the XDs but I own an XDm 40 compact and it's quite reliable and easy to shoot considering the small size.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
loose_holster_dan

my buddy carries one. i had a chance to fire his a couple weekends ago. surprising little recoil, and very similar feel to my walther pps. nearly identical in dimensions.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:08 PM   #14
vector91

Thank you very much dan and just to clarify we are talking about the .45 correct
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

So just to be 100% clear.

You don't want to carry full sized right?
Old February 13, 2013, 01:49 PM   #16
vector91

I wouldnt mind the weight of a full size as long as it is easy to conceal wearing regular clothes. I have only ever shot a full size .45 so I am also wondering what the recoil is like from a compact.
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Alright, because I only have full sized handguns and only carry full sized handguns.

In .45ACP I pack a West German SIG P220. It's really light compared to other single stack .45's in it's size. Alloy frame and folded carbon steel slide. A spare mag or two and you're golden.

Another weapon I carried a lot doing work in Liberty City, Miami. Was a Glock 21sf. With 2 spare mags at 8:00. Isn't that heavy either.

Most important thing about comfortably carrying IWB or OWB is a good holster and belt.

Now you can find both of those used for a decent price. I think you mentioned your budget is $500-$600. The Glock can be found at that price for sure. The SIG, would have to be used and maybe a little bit more.

Another thing, if you're not huge on full sized CC. The Glock 30sf..One I also have. Feels like a full sized gun in your hands but it's not even close.

Check out those options. With a good belt and holster. Also, what Dan said about the XDs. Very good deal also. In terms of single stack .45's that are that size the XDs and Glock 36 should be looked at.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:00 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Thank you very much dan and just to clarify we are talking about the .45 correct
correct. the xds is ONLY offered in 45. the recoil is surprisingly well handled in that package. it had less felt recoil than my colt defender 45.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19
vector91

thanks constantine I am going to look into some full size ones as well right now definately leaning towards the xds will have to go and find one at a shop.
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 02:26 PM   #20
vector91

thanks alot dan thats good to hear im hoping to find one at a local shop
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 02:50 PM   #21
bt380

I am partial to the PX4 Storm Type F in 40 cal. I put a Hogue HandAll grip on the smallest grip that came w/ the gun. It fits pretty good but with a small slight bubble near the top by the tang but it doesn't interfer since it is in the webbing of the hand. The rotating barrel helps on the perceived recoil control and dampens the barrel hop as well for follow up shots. In comparison, the SR9 WITHOUT the Hogue grip had a more snappy feeling than the 40 cal WITH the Hogue. But the 40 cal does have a more stout thud kick. Using the Hogue with the finger grooved grips also makes better control for the follow up shots. I used 4 hard syllabus plastic sheets cut into strips at grip width and 11 inches long to allow the grip to be worked onver the gun handle. Then I used the excess plastic length to pull the plastic out from between the Hogue and handle. I really like my 9mm because I have a Hogue HandAll on that as well (same slight bubble near tang). They are both fun to shoot and w/ the good defense rounds make them both great for carry. The only real negative for me I'd speak to depends on the type holster you use for the PX4 Type F...that is the rough decocker/safety edge that would rub against the skin if you use open top holsters...so look into that if you lean that way....
Old February 13, 2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Skans

Kahr PM 40
STI LS40
AMT 45 Backup - DIY gunsmithing required.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #23
happyguy

If I had to choose just one, it would be a Glock G26 or G27...well maybe a G33, but you get the idea.

happyguy
Old February 13, 2013, 05:57 PM   #24
vector91

Thanks a lot guys I really apriciate all of the suggestions definitely considering the XDS seems like the best for what I am looking for.
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 05:59 PM   #25
thedudeabides

I will always say that CPO P229 40 SW is the BEST EDW gun. But the hammer sometimes pokes my love handles, so I've started to carry a G30 as of late.

Tags
conceal carry , gun , semi auto , semi-auto hand guns