The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
BPowderkeg

WFT Trimmer Works Great !!

i received my WFT trimmer in the mail yesterday after immediately opening the box, i played with it a while, the cutter appears to be a 1/4", 4 fluted end mill, the length of the trim can be adjusted by loosening the two Allen set screws and moving the end mill back for longer case neck or forward for a shorter case neck, there is a label on it that reads .223 REM. i hand tested it with some sized & trimmed 5.56mm brass cases, so far, so good, then tried an fired case, no workee ! i chucked it on a 1400 RPM motor with a 1/2" chuck, turned on the motor, i done one case then checked it's OAL, it come out to 1.7455" exactly what i had the RCBS trimmer set to, then done 5 more, exactly 1.7455", done 10 more same results, then done 100 in less than 10 minutes, i measured a random 10 cases, they all measure,1.7455"+-0004.this case trimmer is most definitely a winner, especially if you have arthritic hands arms or shoulder, today i plan on doing about 500 sized cases.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
jwrowland77

Where did you get it from? I have about 3000 .223/5.56 cases I need to size and trim.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
straight-shooter

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
Old September 22, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That trimmer actually controls neck length off the shoulder, same as the Possum Hollow (less costly), Gracey and Giraud trimmers (more costly, though these last two cut the length and the inside mouth chamfer and they deburr the outside of the mouth all simultaneously, speeding trimming up even more). The idea is that since we trim to keep the case mouth from sticking too far into the chamber, and since a rimless bottleneck cartridge case headspaces on its shoulder and not its head, it follows that how far the case mouth sticks into the chamber is determined by its distance from the shoulder. Therefore we should trim to set the case mouth distance from the shoulder and not from the head, as you get by measuring case length.

What that means, from a practical standpoint, is you can use a sizing die to set the case shoulder back to any length your chamber prefers and still give it the same case mouth distance off the shoulder that a new case has for safety. The result is a custom case length that is just right for your chamber rather than relying on the standard trim-to length that is usually just set half way between the SAAMI minimum and maximum for the case to give manufacturers the maximum wiggle room for error.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 22, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
jwrowland77

Awesome! Thanks. I noticed they had them for 7mm Rem Mag as well.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
mineralman55

WFT

It's a wonderful device. I've done thousands of cases with mine, and have found I don't even need to debur/chamfer the cases. Great time saver.

One caution though, if you accidentally dimple the case shoulder when resizing because of too much lube, you will not get the correct trim. Be aware of that.