The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 4, 2011, 02:47 PM   #26
PoorRichRichard

Jackrabbit Sausage

I have not tried this yet. Found it on another hunting website http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com

If anyone tries it before I get a chance to, please give feedback.

First brine the jacks in a salt water solution for 3 days in the refrigerator then I freeze them in the brine till ready. If the brine is too bloody, change it out prior to freezing.

3lbs diced rabbit preferably hind quarters

2lbs diced pork belly

1 cup raisins

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

30 grams Kosher salt

4 ground bay leaves

1 1/2 teaspoon ground Sage

10 grams Black pepper

1 teaspoon ground Oregano

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

10 gloves crushed garlic

Apple cider vinegar

Once the rabbit is diced cover it with cold water and a good splash of apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a few hours. Check it every 30 minutes or so and drain it and fill again. It will turn color and will release a lot of blood.

While the rabbit is in the vinegar brine prep the other ingredients in a bowl and dice pork belly.

Remove rabbit from brine and remove as much of the water as you can. Then add pork belly, garlic and other ingredients and stir till everything is evenly coated.

Get the meat grinder ready and grind with the medium blade.

You can keep it like this or stuff into sausage casings.

Cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees and enjoy!
Old August 5, 2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Rembrandt

Bacon wrapped backstrap.......slice about 1.5-to-2" thick, wrap with thick sliced bacon, marinate in Italian salad dressing for about 48 hrs. Pan sear in olive oil (seals in moisture), then finish on the grill.

Old August 10, 2011, 09:10 PM   #28
ZeroJunk

You guys have a lot more energy than me. I take a pound or two of venison cut in about 1 inch squares, a quart of home made canned tomatoes, a pack or two of frozen vegetables for soup, throw it in the crock pot and eat it the next day

I also throw duck breast in there and cover it with chicken broth, cook for a day or two, and eat it on some rice.
Old August 11, 2011, 02:57 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You guys have a lot more energy than me. I take a pound or two of venison cut in about 1 inch squares, a quart of home made canned tomatoes, a pack or two of frozen vegetables for soup, throw it in the crock pot and eat it the next day
I cook Antelope, primarily. You have to be really careful with cooking methods, or really careful in selecting the cut of meat. Like most venison, the "bad" flavors are in the fat/tallow. Cooking in certain ways (especially covered in a crock pot) can concentrate the "bad" flavor and aroma from marbled meat, or pieces of fat that were missed during butchering. Sometimes, the extra effort is required, not optional.

Quote:
Bacon wrapped backstrap.......slice about 1.5-to-2" thick, wrap with thick sliced bacon, marinate in Italian salad dressing for about 48 hrs. Pan sear in olive oil (seals in moisture), then finish on the grill.
I have done the same with Antelope, with some changes:
For a predictable cook time, I cut the meat into 1" cubes, season as desired, and wrap all sides with bacon (double wrapped - 1 strip of thick cut bacon, cut in half). The pork drippings keep the Antelope moist (critical for goat meat), and it's ready to eat when the bacon is safe for consumption.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:49 AM   #30
Gbro

Venison Whole Hash!

I just used the last of my venison and did not have a name for the dish, but one of the family outlaws said his Grandfather made a very similar meal called Whole Hash.
This is good for 15 servings <>
On a Grill,
I use a DOUBLE layer of extra strength foil and krinkle the top foil.
Onto the krinkled foil

1/4c<> olive oil

3-4 lbs of cut up venison steak (can use anything(I even use ground beef))

Cut or little carrot's all around the meat

salt an pepper, garlic powder etc. and I cut up fresh garlic also

I enjoy spinach throughout the dish

5 lbs Sliced red potato's,a I leave peels on and cut 1/2 - 3/4 " thick

Grated cheese or I love using the cheese packets from Mac N cheese

2 large onions sliced

1/2 lbs sliced or whole mushrooms

1 stick butter on top of taters and S&P all over again

a few tomato's on the top

1/4 cup <> water (for steam)

another krinckled sheet of foil on top and then close all the foil.

On my Weber Q 200 I cook on high for 40 min.

Size this any way and with any thing. Have never compiled a bad Whole Hash

Had a niece ask my wife if I was cooking anything gross like snake in it as she had no idea what venison is.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:32 PM   #31
2damnold4this

Anybody got a favorite bacon wrapped dove recipe?
Old September 6, 2011, 03:36 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

2d-old... I had a buddy that would take a sliver of jalapeno along a dove breast (with what ever spices) and wrap them with bacon... does this count?

Brent
Old September 6, 2011, 04:47 PM   #33
2damnold4this

I was thinking of something along those lines. I do have plenty of jalapenos in the garden.
Old September 6, 2011, 05:15 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

He did start bacon in oven on cookie sheet until half done or so as it was slower to finish than the dove meat... He layed them on same pan using the bacon grease as anti-stick and flavor.

Brent
Old September 8, 2011, 06:46 AM   #35
2damnold4this

I cooked the doves wrapped with bacon, salted and peppered and stuffed with a jalapeno slice in a cast iron skillet on a gas grill. I should have precooked the bacon a bit longer as it was thicker than normal. The bacon was done but not crisp and the doves were a little overdone but not too bad. Next time I'll precook the bacon longer.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:50 AM   #36
dalegribble

my friend gave me this dove receipe. marinate the dove in teryaki sauce overnite. wrap a slice of bacon around dove breast and secure with toothpick. bbq on grill till done. cook till bacon is done, bacon helps keep dove moist but don't overcook. they cook fast and are delicious.
Old September 8, 2011, 08:40 AM   #37
ZeroJunk

I cooked an elk meat loaf last night in a covered frying pan. Put in the usual bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, green peppers, onions. Surrounded it all with cut up potatos and onions in cooking oil and let it fry covered for a couple of hours at 275. Turned the potatos a few times to brown. It was good.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:19 PM   #38
SavageSniper

Deer Phillies

Take the deer ham and separate into roasts. Rub with your favorite rub or soak in brine, what ever suits you best and smoke until done. I like to chill mine after smoking to stiffen them up a bit. With a food slicer, slice real thin. It is amazing how some meats change flavor when thin sliced. Then in a pan or on a griddle saute onions, peppers and shrooms until tender. Add meat and heat. Pile it on hoggie rolls. Great for game day or what ever. My sister in law has ate numerous of these and she will NOT eat deer. Dont tell her please lol.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:21 PM   #39
SavageSniper

Rembrant, those look great! I have made them too, one of my favorites.
Old October 4, 2011, 05:00 PM   #40
Wyoredman

Tony Tiger Sage Grouse

I really love to hunt sage grouse, but as most "chicken hunters" know, they aren't the best eating birds on the prarie! So out of desperation, I came up with this great recipe during last years hunt.

Sage Grouse Breasts-filleted
eggs
cream
Kellogs Frosted Flakes
Bacon grease

Mix the eggs and cream, whip
Soak the breast strips in the egg/cream mix for 1 hour
crush the frosted flakes in the cereal sack
dredge the breast strips in the frosted flakes
Fry in the bacon grease till done.

Trust me, this is the only way to eat Bomber Chickens!
Old October 9, 2011, 09:53 AM   #41
fatwhiteboy

Medallions of Antelope Loin wrapped in bacon, fresh corn off the cob, baked potato.

Rinse and dry meat. Season with salt, coarse ground pepper and a dash of garlic, wrap in bacon. Grill 4 minutes a side....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antelope.dinner1.jpg (169.0 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by fatwhiteboy; October 10, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:24 PM   #42
mignonsdad

Any Recipes for Sika

I took my first Sika today anyone have any good recipes for the meat?
Old October 30, 2011, 12:12 AM   #43
quepasakimosabe

Some will kill me others will try it. I soak my quail in Italian salad dressing overnight in the fridge while they are thawing. I half cook the bacon on the skillet wrap the bacon around the birds and bbq on a preforated Al sheet intil the bacon is crispy then serve. I still use charcoal so i wait untill the coals are white all the way around. Simple, not a soul at my poker parties has complained. we usualy combine with a caserole or something bread/starch based.
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?
Old November 19, 2011, 05:27 AM   #44
donaldbracy

Greek Lentil Burgers
Ingredients:
½ cup dried brown lentils
2 cups water
1 chopped onion
½ tsp salt
4 garlic cloves
½ cup diced red peppers
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp dill
1 tsp oregano
3 kg chickpeas
2 eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs

Boil the lentils in the water. Cook for 30-40 minutes on medium heat until tender. Drain lentils. Brown the onion with salt for 7 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, cumin, coriander and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in dill and oregano. In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas and eggs until smooth. In a bowl, combine chickpeas, lentils, vegetables and breadcrumbs. Flatten and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden-brown and firm.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:23 AM   #45
mapsjanhere

What shot size do you use for lentils? I always thought anything over 7 1/2 leaves a mushy mess.
My latest freezer cleaner:
18 lbs Elk
6 lbs pork trimmings
1 cup Morton Tender Quick
6 T salt (was a bit much, probably cut that back to 3 next time)
9 T pepper
9 T garlic powder
3 T sugar
Run through grinder, let cure for 4 days, stuffed in natural pork casings, smoked for 8 h at 1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg geraeuchert.jpg (111.8 KB, 740 views)
Old January 1, 2012, 11:11 AM   #46
TXGunNut

Breakfast Sausage Recipe?

I need a breakfast sausage recipe for the venison I'll be putting in the freezer today. Planning on 3-1 venison/pork fat recipe, salt, crushed black pepper, crushed red pepper and a bit if sage but I don't know how much of the spices.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:49 AM   #47
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I haven't made any... yet... But I googled breakfast sausage recipe and found a jillion... I plan to go through them and come up a concensus based on repeated ingredients and ratios and work from there...

Brent
Old January 1, 2012, 12:16 PM   #48
TXGunNut

That's what I'm doing, just looking for a recipe that someone around here likes. I found the starting place for my Italian sausage reipe that way, turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 3, 2012, 09:07 AM   #49
RangerHAAF

I've never been able to cook a venison or wild hog roast in a traditional oven setting; the meat is too lean and no matter how much soaking or marinating the strong wild and gamey taste is always there. So I use a Crockpot to cook it as long as necessary.

I start off by putting the roast into a base of beef broth that I season with salt, pepper, cajun spices, etc. that I let sit and stew for 4-6 hours, the beef broth leeches the game flavor out of the meat. Some of you also flavor your meat with bourbon, whiskey, etc. The next step is to determine if the meat can be pulled of the bone easily. If it can be then I add 1-2 bottles of Caribbean Jerk seasoning to give it my preferred flavor. Any kind of special flavoring sauce can be used(barbecue, teriyaki, etc.) it's based on what you want the meat to taste like.

After I add the Jerk sauce I'll let it cook for another 2-3 hours to completely absorb the flavor. When it's done it doesn't retain any of the gamey flavor that turns people off to eating it plus the moisture is retained in the meat. It's best to cook it one day before eaten as I've found that the longer it sits in the jerk sauce the more flavorful the meat becomes.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 12, 2012, 06:00 PM   #50
jtmckinney

Started with "Mike’s Spicy Italian Fennel Venison/Pork Sausage"

See his post #10. And of course I had to "Bubba" it up some.

I only had 3 lbs of vennison I had cut up and froze for chili meat. I added 10 lbs of pork shoulder and butt that was pretty lean. Grocery store only had beef fat available at that time so I added 3 lbs of that.

Mikes recipe was for 8 lbs so I used double his suggested ingreadents as a starting point. I love pepper and wanted to make a "hot" sausage so I used 4tsp cyanne pepper and 12 tsp black pepper. I cut back on the salt a little and used 5 tbs pickling salt.

Grocery store only had 2, 1.5 ounce bottles of whole fennel seed. I don't know how this converts to crushed fennel seed but this was only 13 tbs of whole where his recipe called for 16 tbs of crushed. Toasted per his instructions and went with it.

Same with the parsley, I bought 2 bunches chopped all but the stems along with the garlic.

Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes, mixed with seasonings and refrigerated over night. Ground and stuffed into hog casings next day making approx 3/4 pound links.

I think the results are excellent. Next time I make this I will add a little more fennel. I have been wanting a good Italian sausage recipe and this one fits the bill.

Thanks Mike!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"