The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 23, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Vergeltung

Mauser 98k stripper clip advice....

Hey all. I got a few stripper clips for my Mauser 98k & ammo, and loaded a few up. tried to practice with them so I would be able to use them at the range without any problems.

However, it did not go well. they did not seem to glide in as I have seen on various demonstration videos. best I got was one round kind of halfway stuck in sort of crooked. then it was all jammed in there (the whole thing) and I had to remove the clip w/pliers, and get the round out etc.

Do I need to apply some light oil or other lube to the edges of the stripper clip or something? obviously the clips are MilSurp and old. any advice & help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old January 23, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
kraigwy

Using stripper clips is an art but its easily mastered with practice. A good bet would be contact your state rifle and pistol assn. get with some high power guys during a practice section. A lot of those still shoot bolt guns in High Power with required loading stripper clips in rapid fire. They'll get you set up.

Using stripper clips in rapid fire is really quite fun once you get the hang of it. While the rifle is in position, slide the clip in the guide, with the thumb of your shooting hand, push the rounds completely into the mag well. Making sure the last round in seated in the mag. well and not floating around. Its hard to tell one how to do it, it would be easy for one to show you.

Make some dummy rounds, (bullets stuffed in empty cases) and practice. you'll get the hang of it.

I never felt the need to lube the clips. Just a bit of thumb action.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 23, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't disagree with kraigwy, but it sounds like you have the wrong clips, maybe US M1903 clips or Swedish Mauser clips. Neither will fit the K.98k clip guide and will do just what you describe if you try to use them.

The standard German Mauser clip has three lugs on each side and measures .519" wide (not counting the lugs).

In general, a correct clip should: 1) hold the cartridges well, 2) fit the guide snugly, 3) not need to be held in place, 4) not fall out even if the rifle is bounced around, and 5) be easily ejected when the bolt is pushed forward. If it won't do all of those, it is the wrong clip.

Jim

Last edited by James K; January 23, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 23, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
BlueTrain

Are you sure you actually have clips for 8mm Mauser? None that I have are so marked and I'm sure variations abound. Clips for other cartridges from the .308, .30-06, 7.5 French and 6.5 Swedish all look nearly the same but aren't identical. Some interchange but usually only one way. Practice will help.

Clips for rimmed cartridges never work nearly so well (for me) but frankly, I'm always surprised they work at all. For both .303 and 7.62x54R it doesn't seem to matter how the cartridges are placed in the charger for they will still work, provided the charger is in good shape. They have a lot of bendable metal there. I also have had a number of chargers for the Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R that just wont work. They are simple pieces of bent metal, maybe even aluminum, and they just aren't formed right where they fit into the charger guide. Clearly not original issue.

The Remington Model 8 could be loaded with stripper clips but on mine it was not easy, going on impossible. Those were marked and I expect they are something of a collectible.

I've never used one on an SKS but it looks fumble prone for 10 rounds.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I expect they are something of a collectible."

You ain't just whistling dixie.

The Model 81 would take stripper clips, as well.

I've seen a VERY few offered for sale a gunshows for .300 Savage. Prices have ranged from as little as $10 a piece to as much as $75 a piece.
Old January 23, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Vergeltung

thanks for the replies all. the stripper clips fit the mauser load area parfectly, as far as width, etc. they also hold the rounds perfectly. I got them from a MilSurp web site that identified them as Mauser 8mm stripper clips.

EDIT: upon further review maybe Jim is right. further investigation/testing necessary. I am glad they were cheap!

Last edited by Vergeltung; January 23, 2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 23, 2009, 07:39 PM   #7
TEDDY

stripper clips

there is a nack but one thing,give them a healthy shove and dont stop.sks are a bitch to my way of thinking.I have an 03 and plenty of clips.as well as japs with clips.you need to practice.and some times wigle the clip as you push.
PS: thats why I like garand and carcano and comm88s.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Vergeltung

I will try and get some pics up soon, and see what you guys think. thanks again.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

For smoothness when loading, put your thumb on the rear of the top round as far to the rear as possible.

If you put your thumb on the center or forward part of the top round, the rounds will tend to jam in the stripper clip.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

The clips most commonly sold as either Mauser 98 or M1903 clips (and which are neither) are the Swedish Mauser clip and the M14 clip. Both are wider than the Mauser 98 clip at about .570", as opposed to the Model 98's .519".

The Swedish clip has two lugs, and is almost always stainless steel. The M14 clip has one lug in the middle and is always Parkerized.

HTH

Jim
Old January 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

And when stripping the rounds into the action, watch your thumb, or more particularly, your thumbnail, that it doesn't catch on the edge of the action.

It could result in a badly torn nail.

As me how I know...

Makes me :barf: even remembering it.
Old January 25, 2009, 06:48 AM   #12
BlueTrain

One thing that removes all doubt as to whether or not you have the correct stripper clip is that some surplus ammunition came already packed in stripper clips.

There are a few pistols that used stripper clips, too.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Vergeltung

ok, I finally got some pictures snapped of the stripper clips I was referring to in this thread:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

the pics are a little small, but, if you squint a bit you can see them! ;P
Old February 7, 2009, 03:24 PM   #14
TEDDY

stripper clips

they may be gew 98 but they dont look like mine with that lip on end but they do have 3 nobs?I have turkish 98/mauser 93s/ mauser 98s.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those look like Turkish Mauser clips, which I thought would fit a K.98k, so I am puzzled.

Edited to add: I thought I didn't have any Turkish clips, but I just found a couple. They look exactly like those, and fit a K.98k just fine.

Still puzzled.

Jim
Old February 10, 2009, 09:06 AM   #16
Vergeltung

could be user error (me!). perhaps I will try newer ammo in them and see how that goes (the ones pictured have 1950s MilSurp in them. thanks for all the replies.
Old February 10, 2009, 11:54 AM   #17
Scorch

Just a tip from personal experience using stripper clips (chargers):
Using the hand you use to operate the bolt, put your thumb as close the the cartridge head as you can while pushing down, otherwise the rounds tend to bind. Be careful not to run your thumb into the charger clip itself, as it will tear your skin, and you will be sorry for the next few days. Aim for the thumb notch as you push down. With chargers, practice definitely makes perfect.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Vergeltung

yeah, I should practice away from the range, where I can take my time, etc. good advice, thanks.
Old February 16, 2009, 11:27 PM   #19
xtremehunter83

i have a bunch of these out in garage , they make it nice to load
Old February 17, 2009, 10:37 AM   #20
Vergeltung

thanks for the reply, I was practicing and was going to repost. I am actually getting them to work everytime now. I was just not setting the clip all the way in to the guide thingy. seems like that's what it was anyways.

the next range trip should be a real pisser!
Old February 17, 2009, 11:29 PM   #21
xtremehunter83

these things worth anything to anyone? have bunch of them
Old February 18, 2009, 09:44 AM   #22
Vergeltung

I got mine, like 18 I think, with an old army surplus bandolier. not even sure whose army. definately not WWII though. whoile thing was like $12.

so, they are not worth much I imagine...

Last edited by Vergeltung; February 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typos, always with the typos....
Old February 18, 2009, 10:33 AM   #23
Wulfmann

Those may be Egyptian based on the Swede and intended for the Hakim, but, that is a guess.
I have some of those but have not used them (They do fit in the slot of my K98ks).
The Turkish are much lighter and along with the Yugo and Romanian work fine.
There is an abundance of Turk and Yugo clips around.
I prefer the Yugo because they are either chromed or are stainless so they are less likely to corrode.
I pretty much only use the Yugo and in truth have never once had any problem and that seems remarkable giving some suggest I should have sought the advise of experts to learn the difficult task of stripping 5 rounds into the mag well.
Just shows it is better to be lucky that good.
If I can find a link to a local college course on loading strippers I will post it

Wulfmann