The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Sidetracked

Favorite .270 Win/WSM/Wby bullet?

Whether it is part of a factory load, pet load, custom reload, or just something you admire...

What is your favorite bullet in .270 ? Why? What do you use it for?
Least favorite? Why?

My favorites: (.270 Win)
Speer 100 gr HP; It has proven to be very accurate and dependable in all 5 rifles in my family. fantastic, explosive espansion makes it fun to shoot. Mostly used for prarie dogs and rabbits.

Remington 130 gr Core-Lokt (bulk); They're consistent enough for me that the price cannot be beaten when bought in bulk, for reloads. In a pinch, the green-box factory 130 gr Remington ammo shoots just as well as our reloads. Penetration and expansion are predictable and satisfactory enough for anything up to Elk, in my mind. Used for Whitetail, Muleys, Antelope, and Elk when needed.

Least favorite:
Speer 90 gr HP; This bullet just doesn't stabilise for us. Accuracy was deplorable over almost 250 trial rounds of various loads through 3 rifles. One of the lighter loads actually had bullets keyholing at 100 yards.

Nosler Combined Technology 130 gr Ballistic Silver Tip; I was terribly disappointed with weight consitency and accuracy.

I'm not really asking for pet loads, but if you share them I won't object.
Old June 8, 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Gnarly

Favorite .270 Win. bullet is Hornady 110 gr.HollowPoint w/47.1 grains of H4895 @ C.O.L.=3.245. That's what my A-bolt prefers,past 19 years.

Least favorite is any bullet w/ any mention of Ballistic Tip .Including the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip factory loads.My brothers & I tried those last year in new rifles in 3 calibers: .243WSSM, .25WSSM & .270WSM.All 5 rifles are shooters, even w/ these pieces of crap bullets-all grouped < 1' @ 100 yds-two will put 'em in one ragged hole{ with my brothers shooting; they're both better shots than I.}

But here's the MAJOR downside:

For the first time I can remember, we all had to track deer- anywhere from 125-315 yds, following heart/lung shots.They punch a 1/4" hole thru a deer w/ zero expansion.All three deer were just average size, shot from 55-125 yds.(We still have some of these factory loads- will trade 'em even for once-fired brass.)

That's what motivated us to gear up to handload again, after several years of shooting up all the HollowPoints we had previously loaded for the older guns: .243,.270, .30-06, & .357 Mag.We had discovered years ago that HollowPoints mean instant internal hemorrage & instant systemic shock.Who cares about the size of an exit wound if it's laying where you shot it.

Can't wait to see what the WSM's & WSSM's will do w/ handloads!

By the way, there's a bunch of folks that know WAY more than I do, when it comes to the WSM's,WSSM's, etc. Check out wssmzone.com.

And that's my 1.5 cents worth!

-----Gnarly
Old June 8, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Red_Eagle

Favorite: 130gr. Sierra Game King
140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip

least favorite: Hornady 130gr SP
Hornadt 150gr SP
Barnes 140gr X bullet