The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 1999, 10:04 AM   #1
Rod WMG

Okay, I know this is strange, but I bought a Stoeger coachgun a year or so ago to use at the cowboy matches. I'd like to take it hunting from time to time, BUT it has a bright nickle finish. If I put camo tape on it to dull it down for calling varmints, etc. and leave the tape on for, say, a couple of weeks at a time, am I in any danger of having the nickle finish start peeling off with the tape at some point? Are there any other "fixes" you guys can think of? Thanks.
Old August 4, 1999, 04:36 PM   #2
chucko

I'm not sure about the tape, but you could make a nice slip on cover out of some old BDUs or some burlap. I've done this for a couple of my rifles.

Chuck
Old August 4, 1999, 07:27 PM   #3
Rod WMG

Chuck,

This is one of those things (like cruise control) which is so simple and obvious, I have to give myself a "dope slap" and ask, "Why didn't I think of that?" Thanks a bunch!

P.S. If anyone knows about the tape, I'd still like to hear about it, as I might want to use it on the sideplates and trigger guard.
Old August 4, 1999, 10:20 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rod, I like Chucko's idea and have seen a lot of homemade "socks" like he's talking about. The tape shouldn't have any effect on your plating. I've seen it take the finish off of stocks, but I can't see how it could remove the nickel. I've never seen or heard of that happening anyway. If you do use it, and the time comes to remove it, after it is untaped use WD-40 on the residue. It and a little rubbing takes it right off. George
Old August 5, 1999, 01:40 AM   #5
Rod WMG

Thanks, George,

It was leaving the tape on for a long time that worried me (over the course of a two week hunting trip for example). I was afraid of some sort of reaction with the ingredients of the tape and the plating. It's good to be reassured.