The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2002, 01:33 PM   #1
saands

Use of Barrel Bedding Tools

I have seen some barrel bedding tools at Midway and Brownells that help cut the barrel channels in a wood stock. Do people usually get the size that fits the smallest part of the channel and then run with more side pressure on the part of the stock that needs a wider channel? Since these are not infinitely adjustable, I can't see another way of doing it. Or, am I missing the point altogether ... are these just for finishing up the channel and not really intended for removing the bulk of the wood?

Thanks,
Saands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbedtool.jpg (6.7 KB, 56 views)
Old January 30, 2002, 02:12 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Channel Cutters

saands:
There are several sizes to those cutters, if my memory serves, and you can start from scratch if you want to. As you know, the barrel tapers, and when using the cutters it will take several sizes to do the job. I usually started with a hand rotery tool, (to get the big stuff out, then to the hand cutters.

HJN
Old January 30, 2002, 02:36 PM   #3
DeBee

Yes, they are for the final finishing stages not hogging out the channel...

You could drop your barrelled action in the stock with the inletting screws (with the trigger guard in place) make sure everything is straight and square and trace the barrel out line on to the wood. I trace at an angle (not straight down) so that I am sure not to remove too much wood.

Then, you can remove this excess wood (not more than half the barrel width) any way you prefer. I use U shaped gouges from both sides cutting to the midline with a mallet.

I finish with various round contours of whatever I can find... I use that new SandBlaster Sandpaper (coarse) and I think its great...
Old January 31, 2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Clemson

I have always managed to get by just fine with three wooden dowels cut off about 6" long. A 1/2", a 5/8", and a 3/4" that very rarely gets used. I just wrap coarse sandpaper around the dowel and sand the wood out. The bedding tools are nice for removing a lot of wood in a hurry, but the dowels will work on synthetic stocks as well as on wood. I hasten to add that I am free-floating my barrels. If you are doing one of those very close, fitted bedding jobs, use gouges.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com