The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
gaseousclay

international hunters

i'm curious what the hunting is like for our non-US brethren out there who enjoy the sport of hunting. are firearms illegal or heavily regulated in your country? if not, how does hunting season differ in your country from the US? what type of game do you hunt? what kind of firearm do you use when hunting?
Old November 8, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
lt dan

I am from S-Africa, i hunt about twice a week when it is not hunting season.
hunting season can be all year round if the property you are hunting on are exempt from certain legislation.

but for the most part game and what you guys would call vermin is in abundance. when i hunt twice a week me and my hunting buddies go for wart-hog and jackal. we recently had trouble in my region with leopard and hyena, but the problem seems to have dissipated. for 2010 i have taken more or less the following: 22 wart-hog. 2 kudus 2 Oryx 1 Blackwildebeest 1 Impala ,dont recall the exact numbers of the following but all are more than 10- springbuck; blesbuck.

vermin like jackal springhare monkeys and baboons are also on the menu but i dont really keep count of them. my dream is to hunt a cape buffalo.

we are regulated. i am in the dedicated hunter category as per legislation. i had to do a course to qualify and had to pass my exams. in theory with this status i can have as many rifles i want as long as i can motivate my need to have every rifle. silencers as it is locally known has no legal or licence requirement.

I also participate in culls, for export venison to Europe. we dont see this as hunting although there is a couple of similarities. the last cull i partook in we took 119 springbok for the night. all head shots, since non head shots are not allowed for export.

i use a 308 and a 300wm. most of my buddies use a mix of 223 243 270 7x64 7x57 303 30-06 300wm. a couple of 375's and 9.3's.

more than 90% of the revenue from hunting in S-Africa are generated by local hunters. locals dont care much for trophy hunts, we are after the meat. some prices for locals are Kudu-$286 springbuck-$75.

i reload and use a mix of Lee;RCBS; Hornady MTM CCI Speer and Sierra components. but allways local powder.
Old November 8, 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
mitchell koster

Good Post!!!

Hmmm I'm from Australia (Tasmania)

Its very regulated here. There are two seasons for deer, each go for about 4 weeks. There is a minimum calibre size of .243, and in the first season you can take one buck/stag and one doe, OR 2 doe. The second season is for those that didn't fill their tag in the previous.

There are heaps of varmitting options available. If you get a licence you can shoot roos, there are hares, rabbits and deer in Tassie but on the main-land there are hares, rabbits, massive variety of deer including sambar!!. There are camels, buffalo, donkeys, goats and pigs!!!!

Lots of oppertunity for shooting different types and styles of hunting.

MK
Old November 8, 2010, 06:51 PM   #4
DTrain

Don't tell my wife you shoot goats!
Old November 8, 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
mitchell koster

Hahaha some ppl don't like it but there are lots ha.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
lt dan

gaseousclay, you started the thread, so any comments on the answers you got?
Old November 10, 2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

ltdan,

I also would love to hunt cape buffalo. I'm pretty sure it'll never happen, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming. I was just curious what cartridge would a reasonable person use to hunt them? Are they really as tough to kill as what we read about?
Old November 10, 2010, 09:31 PM   #8
gaseousclay

Quote:
gaseousclay, you started the thread, so any comments on the answers you got?
I think the selection of game you have available to you in S. Africa is interesting. the danger factor seems more intense. I can't imagine facing a hyena, but then again, I can't imagine facing any wild animal that has the ability to tear you to shreds.
Old November 11, 2010, 01:00 AM   #9
lt dan

Doodlebugger45, the min required by law for a buffalo is 375, though 9.3 is also very popular. to be honest i think the 303brit and 7x57 holds the record for most buffalo taken. but that was the olden days. locally we don't hunt with a ph, but when we hunt dangerous game we must be accompanied by a ph. if one listens to ph's most buffalo hunts go down without a problem. usually hunters are well prepared. the problem comes if the buff is wounded and his adrenaline kicks in. the locals believe that God created the cape buffalo in anger.

gaseousclay, although it is Africa the chances to come across a threatening predator or animal is extremely low. most local hunters will go their whole life without ever encountering a dangerous animal. strangely enough an animal that has a notorious rep is an ostrich. the male is very protective of its young and in mating season he will attack anything that moves.

just realize i wrote in my first reply that i use a 300wm. i actually use a 300H&H. if my hunting buddies see this i would be shot at first light!

Last edited by lt dan; November 11, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old November 11, 2010, 04:05 PM   #10
markj

Quote:
most local hunters will go their whole life without ever encountering a dangerous animal.
Brother in laws Dad was bit bt a mamba snake, they tho do not hunt with guns in Togo. I am teaching him to shoot here in the US. The BIL that is. Do you have the same issues with venomous snakes?

How hard is it for an American to come and go on a hunt?
Old November 13, 2010, 12:08 PM   #11
lt dan

we have a whole industry around foreign hunters. it is a common occurrence. so it is very easy. i met an American on this very site and we organised a hunt for him with much ease.

the mamba has a don't ph@uck around with label over here. we know it as the black mamba. the solution is that: if you are hunting alone, and gets bitten by a mamba simply go to the nearest shade and write "mamba" in the dirt.

two reasons for this: 1: a dead body looks very bad if left out in the sun.

and 2: when they finally find your body they will at least know why you are dead.

no , jokes aside the run of the mill hunter over here will have more problems with poisonous creepy crawlies than dangerous game.