The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 1999, 10:40 PM   #1
DesertRat

I've been looking for a source for quality leather military type slings. The old, double eyelet and brass hook variety. I've seen Uncle Mikes brand, but its not the quality I'm looking for. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old September 27, 1999, 03:15 AM   #2
ModIMark0

Dillon Precision has the leather two hook sling in tan and black for $39.95 each. Kind of pricey IMO.
You may want to also look into or call Charley's Militaria out of Ada, Oklahoma. They sell the tan sling for $18.95 or $19.95, and I think that they are good reproductions of the original. Check for Charley's in Shotgun News or Gun List.
Old September 28, 1999, 09:39 PM   #3
Jeff Thomas

I bought some great Ching slings from Andy Langlois - http://www.shottist.com/

I realize you're not looking for a Ching Sling, but he's very responsive and knowledgeable - you might want to send an email to him to find out if he can help you out with either his own product or a source. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited September 28, 1999).]
Old September 28, 1999, 09:55 PM   #4
DesertRat

Jeff,

Thanks for the contact info. I'll check'em out. I've also found www.turnerslings.com. These slings look like what I'm looking for. I've always used a military type sling on my grandfather's old, hand-me-down '06 hunting rifle while growing up.

I prefer this style to synthetics, wide strapped leather or the latest whiz-bang tactical nylon contraptions. I guess I'm just set in my ways, but that old, worn M1907 sling just works for me. I was worried I'd never find one of comparable quality. Turner's has it covered.

Thanks,

DesertRat
Old September 29, 1999, 07:11 PM   #5
Doug in PHX

The slings that Dillon sells are Turner slings. Very nice quality.

I can also second Jeff's recommendation of Andy Langlois. He provides very nice worksmanship on high quality leather. He can provide you with a very nice 1907 sling.

I have slings from both, and am very pleased with both outfits.
Old September 29, 1999, 09:31 PM   #6
Doug in PHX

Oops

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited September 29, 1999).]
Old September 29, 1999, 10:32 PM   #7
DesertRat

Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I may just pick up one of both. I've got a rifle that needs a new sling as well as my shotgun. Maybe I'll do a 20 year side by side comparison and report back. I certainly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

DesertRat
Old October 3, 1999, 02:37 AM   #8
Blue Jays

Good Evening DesertRat & Everyone-

Hey, I've been in search of a quality sling for my Vang Comp Rem 870, too. The link to www.turnerslings.com is as dead as a doornail. Does anyone have the new link?

My preferred gunleather craftsman, Sam Andrews Custom Leather, unfortunately has become a one-man shop again and can't tool-up for a new project like slings.

Thanks much for your kind help...

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Old October 3, 1999, 04:17 PM   #9
DesertRat

Blue Jays,

Oops, sorry my bad. The correct address is www.turnersling.com. Eliminate that last "s."

DesertRat
Old October 13, 1999, 11:05 PM   #10
Blue Jays

Hi DesertRat & Everyone-

Some very nice-looking leather over at www.turnersling.com that looks like it will be my choice! First, I'll have to figure out this one little question.

The sling mounts on my Remington 870 are not even close to being 1.25" wide. They're essentially holes that you could put a spring-loaded clip fastener through.

Are there choices in types of sling mounts? Is one type more appropriate for a shotgun while another type is more appropriate for a rifle, etc.? Thanks much for your kind help.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 15, 1999, 09:48 PM   #11
Gunfighter

I ordered the Police Tac Sling from Turner Saddlery today. I got the 54 in version because I am over 6'. The price w/ shipping was $51.95. You can get swivels in 1' or 1 1/4 to fit in your swivel posts. Turner slings are 1 1/4.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old October 17, 1999, 11:22 AM   #12
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Yeah, I'll just need to make a phone call out to the folks at turnersling.com to discuss sling swivel hardware "live."

The sling swivels on my Remington 870 Police Magnum are holes about the size that you could put a keyring through.

Do you actually connect an additional piece of hardware to this hole so that it can support the 1.25" (for example) leather sling?

Thanks much and "speak" with you all again soon.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 17, 1999, 04:53 PM   #13
Gunfighter

Jay- You are talking about the sling posts not the swivels. You can get quick detach swivels from Uncle Mike's for $8.99. They are part #1403-4. I got mine at Sports Authority. This will enable you to use a 1 1/4 sling.

------------------
Old October 17, 1999, 08:40 PM   #14
Blue Jays

Hi Gunfighter-

I knew there had to be a simple explanation to this query!

Are there also slings that can attach directly to the sling posts, too? Maybe via a clip of some sort?

Those Turner Slings do look pretty inviting.

Thanks for your kind help...

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 17, 1999, 10:11 PM   #15
Gunfighter

Jay- When you are dealing with a shotgun, anything short of a high quality sling on 1 1/4 swivels won't cut it. I was using a padded sling for a M-60 Machine Gun until the other day after a takedown when I went to sling my 590 and the f$#cking sling was all twisted, I had to sling the gun to cuff a mope and it was a pain. I figure on a good shotgun $50 for a sling that will last a lifetime is a good deal.

------------------
Old February 23, 2000, 09:11 PM   #16
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Here's an old thread being brought back to life! I'm having a bit of a dilemna:

From what I see on the web site, it appears that Turner Slings makes older military-style slings that attach to the receiver on a rifle, as opposed to swivels on a shotgun?

E-mails to Andy Langlois have gone unanswered, plus he does not have voicemail and the phone just rings and rings, so that's the second high-end manufacturer where I've run into a dead-end.

What have you (my TFL brothers and sisters) done for slings for your Remington 870 or similar shotguns?

For home defense, the sling won't even be attached to the shotgun. The intended use will be for slinging the shotgun over my shoulder out in the field.

This sling will not be "tactical," so I'm thinking something in engraved black leather would be pretty cool and would lend some "artistic" flavor.

Help!!!

~ Blue Jays ~