The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Cencotech

Cleaning used dies

I'm new to reloading and just getting my equipment together. I have a Lee 4 hole Turret press and I bought a used set of Lee Carbide 38 Special dies. Not knowing how these dies were used, do I need to try to clean them. If so how would I do that?

Thanks for the help
Old July 25, 2015, 10:04 AM   #2
rtpzwms

Yes you should clean the dies. In fact it is something you should do regularly. Simply take them apart since this is your first time pay attention to how they are assembled when you take them apart so you can put them back together the same way. Just think of cleaning you firearm and follow the same basic cleaning procedures. I like a nylon brush and a little solvent followed with a light coat of oil to prevent rusting.

Get a good reloading manual and do some reading it will explain what to do and what each of the dies do. If you know someone who reloads, ask to hangout while he/she reloads. Just seeing the process helps make everything clear. You can also see videos on youtube. I suggest if you use youtube find several and watch them don't rely on just one. Some of them have, lets say an interesting way of reloading.

It is a fairly simple thing to do but just starting out follow the books/load data carefully. Don't be in a rush to go to a full load. Start low and work up carefully. If at any time you don't understand something come back and ask more questions. There are a lot of great answers here on the forum.
Old July 25, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Doyle

Since there are no rubber/plastic parts there (except for the O-ring on Lee locking rings), you can use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. If you have Lee dies with the rubber locking ring then don't spray those (brake cleaner and rubber/plastic don't always get along well). It's cheap and great at removing carbon and dirt. Just be sure and replace the protective oil that it will remove because brake cleaner will clean off ALL the oil in the metal pores.
Old July 25, 2015, 11:17 AM   #4
COSteve

Quote:
... you can use non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
This
Old July 25, 2015, 11:33 AM   #5
mikld

When a new reloader asks this question I often say; clean them just like you'd clean your gun. Use bore solvent, brushes, and lightly oil. I keep a "soak" of mineral spirits, Kroil and ATF in my bench and occasionally just drop the whole turret, with dies, in the soak and let it sit (I sometims forget it's in there so the soak can last for a few hours to a couple days). Then I'll slosh around use a paint brush or nylon brush to get any lube out and drain. A quick wipe finishes the job. There is enough oil left on the dies to prevent rusting....
Old July 25, 2015, 11:44 AM   #6
FITASC

Any good solvent will work; using a vibratory liquid cleaner would be good as well. Then relube as you need.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 25, 2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Cencotech

Thanks for all the quick reply's. I'll get to work on them. Now, one of the dies is the "powder through, expanding die" Is it ok to oil this one. Just seems that an oil coating might cause the powder to stick as it is pouring through.
Old July 25, 2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Doyle

Ok. Just wipe it dry before using.
Old July 25, 2015, 05:11 PM   #9
F. Guffey

I clean my dies with a towel on a dowel. Some of my dies took years to get them into the condition they are in, meaning? I would not want to start over by using cleaners available for cleaning car parts.

I use a towel because the towel is embeddable, if I use a white one I know when I am finished.

F. Guffey
Old July 25, 2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Jim243

Basically I just use tap water and dish soap in a Sonic Cleaner, take the die apart and turn on the cleaner. In about 10 min the dies are nice and clean. Pat dry or blow dry with a hair dryer and they are ready to go. No need to oil them unless you are putting them away for long term storage.

No muss or fuss and clean usable dies.
Jim
Old July 25, 2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Cencotech

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have many more question down the road.
Old July 26, 2015, 11:07 AM   #12
mikld

If you're gonna use your powder through die for charging, mebbe you shouldn't use any oil on the "funnel"...
Old July 29, 2015, 01:46 AM   #13
skizzums

i use soap and very hot water and a toothbrush. i don't oil the insides of my dies, but i do wipe down the outside and the threads. the sizing die is going to get lube inside anyways, but i prefer my powder through/expander, bullet seater be dry as well as my crimp die. after washing i use a hair dryer