The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 24, 2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

What are your reactions to....

....The European American Armory (EAA) German imports?

I examined a .45LC Bounty Hunter at the gun show last week. It was used and the guy was not budging off of 400.00. You can buy these things new on GB for well under 400.00.

They look much nicer than the Heritage Arms equivalent. All the metal parts appear to be blued rather than painted as is the case with the Heritage Arms revolver.

The one I handled was smooth and tight.

Anyone know about these handguns?
Old October 25, 2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I little more info....

EAA does have a website but I would say it is not the best put-together affair in the hemisphere.

Search for a dealer and it is darned hard to get the thing to work.

Prices are a little higher than the gentleman on GB is asking.

They have a number but it is not toll free.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:10 AM   #3
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
What are your reactions to....
....The European American Armory (EAA) German imports?
Doc,
From what I've read, the model has been in production for about 20 years. And there may have been some qualitative changes that were made over the years which affect some production years and not others.
I think that can make it more difficult to find a relevant review of recent or current production.
Also, how does one determine the year of production of a used Bounty Hunter and how long ago it was made?
I did read that it has a transfer safety bar. Someone said that their older one has a large, heavy frame that makes it harder to thumb cock with one hand than some other models that they own.
They said that it was similar to a Ruger Blackhawk in size and heft.
But I doubt that it's as well made as a Ruger Blackhawk.
To me, in order to assess a model, it needs to be compared to a known standard. And the quality and features of a Ruger Blackhawk, or other Ruger single action models are widely known.
Since any model can work and function okay, I would ask the question if it's as good as a Ruger for the price? Even if they were both equal in quality which I seriously doubt, what would lead a person buy one over the other, or another brand of single action? A significantly lower price?
Some cowboy shooters said that they liked theirs, and that it benefits from internal polishing.
I watched some Bounty Hunter videos, read some reviews and personally it doesn't appeal to me.
If it did, then it would probably come down to how the Bounty Hunter feels & fits in my hand. But it's mainly just a curiosity piece to me, and not a model that I would really consider buying because of my own bias.
Weihrauch is known for making a very good entry to intermediate level .22 position target rifle. They make many air guns, mostly springer rifles and pistols.
The Arminius revolvers that they use to make were fairly low quality, some would say "junk" which were just above Saturday night specials.
They currently make the Windicator revolver which is a modern descendant of the Arminius.
I would buy a used Interarms Virginian Dragoon before I would buy any new or used Bounty Hunter, but again that's just me.
The early Virginian Dragoons were Swiss made. And then even after its production was moved to the U.S., they were still very popular and noted for being well made guns.
I've also handled a used USFA Rodeo and a Ruger New Vaquaro, both of which I really liked enough to know that I would rather buy either of them.

Last edited by arcticap; October 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Articap...

Yes...Thanks for the info.

I think for the price, right around 390.00 delivered, I might give one a try. I would go with a new one because of the difficulty in finding a good used one and also because of the changes that have been incorporated into the newer models. (Your report on the hammer appears to be one of them.)

Indeed, it is a transfer bar revolver and one report speaks of a half cock "like the Ruger" but my Vaquero does not have a half cock position. Maybe a change or maybe a mistake on the part of the person making the comment. Lord knows, I make plenty of mistakes.