The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 31, 2006, 07:10 PM   #1
charlie in md

how to correct= hitting target low and right

I am a left handed shooter and have been practicing with my BHP over the last couple of months. When I miss the bull, almost always the shot will be at 4 -5 o'clock on the target. I've shot from a rest, and the gun's sights are on (12 o'clock hold). Does anyone have advice on how to correct this?

thanks in advance
Old July 31, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Lots of dryfiring.
Getting somebody to load magazines for you with the occasional dummy.

You are yanking the trigger and heeling the butt in anticpation of recoil.
Old July 31, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Lurper

Low right is indicative of squeezing the pistol while pulling the trigger (milking the pistol). Try relaxing your grip - it should be loose but firm like a steering wheel. For a couple of shots, point the pistol at the target, close your eyes and slowly press the trigger. Focus on feeling the trigger move every nanometer. The shot should surprise you when it breaks. Do that 3 or 4 times. Then do it with your eyes open. Make sure that your trigger finger is the only one that is moving. Your grip should start out neutral and remain that way.
You can also practice this drill by dryfiring.
Old August 1, 2006, 06:17 AM   #4
charlie in md

Thanks for the advice! I'll work on it.

vr - Charlie
Old August 16, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
TacticalJunkie.com

I am a left handed shooter also and I have the same problem sometimes, I find that I have a tight grip and I jerk the trigger rather then squeeze the trigger and if you hold the pistol in front of you, and practice your hold and trigger pull you can see that your barrel will move slightly down and to the right, practice at home keeping the same firm grip throughout the pull and watch the front of your barrel to make sure that it does not dip. This sometimes can also be caused by a heavy trigger pull, but it does not sound like this in your case.