The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 30, 2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Why did the CMP's M2 Ball go from .50-.60?

This happened December 20th. I'm aware that they received a huge shipment about three years ago, and read very often about the flippers reselling any ammo acquired at prices below the commercial market-not just that from Walmart.

During a personal visit to the Anniston store on Aug 31, three staffers told me (in unison) that "We are 5,000 Garands behind due to ammo orders".

Did the CMP's operating costs increase, or are they possibly trying to discourage ammo flipping by reduce the demand, so that they they can process more rifle orders?
Old December 30, 2013, 08:09 AM   #2
CowTowner

I know they were reducing the number of boxes of ammo you are allowed to order due to shortages/supply issues. This may be fallout from the same.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 30, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Do any grocery shopping lately? Prices have gone up. This is called inflation, but another definition is the government continuing to print worthless money so they can buy votes.

Jim
Old December 31, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Ignition Override

Never check grocery prices, and then I only buy what my lady "Admin. Officer" requires.

The huge amount of time they spend processing CMP ammo orders must have been some incentive for the increase.
Old December 31, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
P5 Guy

The CMP may be a not for profit organization but the laws of supply versus demand still apply.
They can see there supply dwindling and demand is still strong. Wages, packing and shipping costs may be rising and they will take that into consideration.

Just my supposition.
Old January 2, 2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Ignition Override

That makes sense.
Anticipation of this is why I bought an extra batch last spring, and some for a friend.

The certainty of future panics + many politicians' self-serving power grabs and few, if any more M-1s added to their inventory also motivated me to buy a second Garand from them.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:25 AM   #7
kraigwy

According to Orest, (Ask Orest) on the CMP forums, the major cause of the increase in ammo (and other items) was the increase of insurance for employees.

The cost of doing business has gone up for all businesses not just the CMP.

If you compare the increase in ammo prices with Midway, CTD, Ammo-to-go, and others you'll see the CMP is not out of line.

Yes the CMP is a Non-Profit org. but their main goal is NOT selling guns and ammo, but:

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions.
placing its highest priority on serving youth.

Unlike the forerunner, the DCM, the CMP gets no tax dollars, it supports its programs through sales of surplus rifle, ammo, and supplies.

Having said that, even with the increase form $98 - 118 per 200 rounds for surplus '06 ammo is still cheaper then reloading if you have to buy the Brass, Bullets, Powder and Primers.

I'm a reloader, always have been and shoot hardly zero factory ammo. I've changed that the last couple years in regards to my Surplus Rifles by buying the Greek '06 ammo. Its good quality, it gives me more time to dedicate to match ammo and pistol ammo,

But mainly, knowing the main mission of the CMP is getting more juniors involved in shooting sports, The CMP will continue to get my support.

The youth of our Country is the future of shooting sports.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071