The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2013, 05:33 AM   #51
seeker_two

One thing we don't discuss a lot in these types of threads is gun maintenance. Which type of gun will she be able to field-strip, clean, lubricate, and reassemble easiest? While most modern semi-autos are easier to maintain than a 1911 or BHP, they are not as simple to clean & lube as a DA revolver. I'm not saying that she can't learn....but I'm asking if she is willing to learn.

This is a important reason I still recommend DA revolvers to new shooters over semi-autos.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:15 AM   #52
Pyzon

Quote:
She needs to know & understand the use of force laws and, more importantly, be able to use lethal force in a critical incident.

If she can't devote the time, $ and/or resources or won't use lethal force against another human being DO NOT buy her a firearm.
Quote:
The first order of business is to get the student to be able to shoot reliably and accurately.
Quote:
If they are going to put it up and never look at it for 3 years, then any gun is a bad choice. It carries all the risk with little upside-most of us understand that during an emergency, there is little time to practise.
Quote:
if she is not going to practice much, a gun would not be a good choice for her in a stress-filled scenario where her minds is on her kids and not on stopping the threat
Quote:
If someone is not willing to devote the time to learn to defend them selves than their priorities are messed up. Especially if they have kids.
Quote:
A gun may be the worst choice for anyone scared or not trained to use it
The best advice is usually the least considered in cases like this.

I am always surprised at the folks here that would take the time to describe their favorite choice of gun as a suggestion for someone else to buy, given that that person is not able or interested in learning how to use it safely or legally.
And very few of you have offered suggestions about the most important facts the OP gave regarding the presence of little kids in the mix.

How in the world would you consider that any gun is the best idea here ?
Old April 7, 2013, 08:51 PM   #53
Mauser8mm

Mossy 500

Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 Gauge, or with a collapsible stock.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 7, 2013, 09:00 PM   #54
Gbnk82

Id go with the ruger p95 personally my favorite gun in my collection..its a 9 so it will has suffici ant stopping power. The recoil is very minimal so it can be handled well and sven though it is a full size gun it seems rather light comparex to most handguns..and it is very relkable never had a problem with mine..best thinv of all thougb is this is a cheap gun it can be had new for under 400.plus its a ruger