The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Recondo

Which Ruger Vaquero Caliber?

I am looking at buying a Ruger Vaquero. I am stumped between the 357 Mag, or the 45 Long Colt. I like the 45 LC simply because of the nostalgia, but the 357 Mag seems more common. I have read on the internet that the 45 LC is the better choice. What to do???
Old December 17, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Walther22lr

I have the .45 Colt version. It is a fun gun, but I do reload for it. That helps keep the cost down per shot.
I have shot the .357 version and it is a nice one too. If you don't reload, I'd go with the .357 version since you can shoot cheaper .38 Special ammo out of it too.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Rob228

The .357 will save you a lot if you don't reload. I don't have a Vaquero, but I do have a Cimarron New Frontier .357 that is just pure fun.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Super Sneaky Steve

Get em both! That's what I did.

It sounds like you're new to these guns so start with the .357 then invest in a press.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Cousin Pat

Vaquero caliber choice

I do cowboy action shooting: the 357 vaquero is a popular choice because of the low cost of 38specials that can be used and because the gun is so strongly built. 45C gets the big boom but it is very expensive unless you reload or buy reloads (as can be done via internet). As to nostalgia, I associate the 45C pretty strongly with Colt revolvers, not Rugers... so you might also consider a second-hand Colt if you want to go the 45C route... hope this helps...
Old December 18, 2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
Get em both! That's what I did.
... I've got 2 spots on my wall for the 357 versions... the 45 Colt Vaquero Montados are my favorites ( I have a pair of consecutive serialed Montados in 45 Colt )... but don't have a single action 357 yet... I reload, so the 45 Colt is reasonable to shoot, I shoot CAS, & use a 45 Colt lever gun as well...

I have a 38 / 357 lever gun for MRS to use for CAS ( if she wants to ), & right now, a pair of 32 Mag Single Sixes... it's way more convienient shooting CAS with the same cartridge for both the rifle & the revolvers, so a pair of the 357 mags are definately in my future...

... & just to clairify, the Vaquero, is not "Ruger loads only" strong, those should be reserved for the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawks... the frame on the Vaqueros are sized the same as the old Colts, so I don't shoot "hot" 45 Colt loads... I've been told the 357 version, can handle a little more heat, because of the thicker cylinder walls with the smaller 357 chambers, but remember, the frame is still lighter / smaller than their Blackhawk brothers so keep that in mind, & avoid those "Ruger only" loads
Old December 18, 2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Screwball

I just ordered a Convertible from Gallery of Guns... a 5.5 inch in stainless. Should be picking it up today.

Bought it mainly to give me the option to go with either .45 Colt or .45 ACP out of the same gun. They do make a .357 and 9mm Convertible, but not sure if in the Vaquero line.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

^^^ you'll like that gun... I love the polished stainless that Ruger does, IMO, it's the most user friendly finish they offer... easy to polish out any scratches, or holster wear... the stainless bead blasted finishes are nearly impossible for the owner to cover up a scratch, or holster blemish with a matching finish...

I've thought about having a 45 ACP cyinder done up for one or both of my Montados, as I have tons of ACP brass, & don't shoot the bottom feeders much anymore
Old December 18, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
davidaker

I love my .45 LC but I also reload. A buddy of mine got one with the .45 ACP cylinder and rarely uses the .45LC option.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:14 PM   #10
chewie146

I'd go with .357 or .45 ACP. The .45 colt can't be pushed too hot in the new vaquero, and the 9mm doesn't have the same diameter bullet as the .357, so the accuracy can suffer in some vaqueros. .357 is what I have in the Blackhawk, and the versatility of the .38/.357 combo in one cylinder is priceless.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:03 PM   #11
pete2

Get the .45 Colt, .357 belongs in a D/A revolver.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Jbar4Ranch

All other things being equal, I'd go with the .45.

The extra weight of the .357 just doesn't balance well for me.

SASS 47015
Old December 18, 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
rclark

The reason (I think) for more .357/.38 New Vaqueros (and even the original Vaqueros) is three fold. 1) Ammo availability for non-reloaders, and 2) In CAS, there is the need for powder-puff loads for speed (pop pop pop pop ... pop). 3) cheaper to shoot. Also for some ladies, it is easier to handle.

I know which I would pick .... .45 Colt .... for a myriad of reasons.... But really it all depends on you and your needs/wants. For example, you plan on target shooting a lot, but don't reload, and don't have deep pockets, then the .357/.38 route is the way to go. If you are after traditional SA Old West type shooting, the .45 Colt is the way to go.... Think how you intend to use it.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Shotgun693

Quote:
In CAS, there is the need for powder-puff loads for speed (pop pop pop pop ... pop)
I'm shooting a .45 Colt. 200 gr bullet at 940 fps. Mine don't go 'pop'. I had a spotter tell me that I made the targets sound like church bells.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

I don't shoot the gamer class either my loads are mid level 250 grains from the load books...
Old December 19, 2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Guv

Hum, 45LC? Does LC stand for "long cartridge"?
Old December 19, 2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

Long Colt
Old December 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Jbar4Ranch

If I want powder puff loads, I use a cast 143 grain round ball over a modest charge of Trail Boss, but there's nothing like shooting Gunfighter category with a full case of black powder and 250 grainers!

SASS 47015
Old December 19, 2012, 06:52 PM   #19
bedbugbilly

I have a NV blued 5 1/2" in .357 and I love it. I only shoot 38 spl though primarily due to cost - I don't reload at the moment but will be soon. I love it. Go with the caliber that YOU like! If you're not reloading, then consider the price of the ammo but if you do or are anticipate it in the future . . . then the ammo cost is not that much of a factor for you.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 19, 2012, 07:32 PM   #20
TheFlash

I have two (2) Vaqueros and both are in 45 Colt. (Also have a Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt.)

While I don't reload and it can get a bit expensive, I chose the 45 Colt Vaqueros because they just balanced better.

I found that even with a 4 3/4"bbl in .357, the bore was smaller than the 45 Colt and therefore had thicker steel in the barrel. That made those Vaqueros feel quite muzzle heavy to me.

Compare the 'feel' of a 45 Colt Vaquero in either 4 3/4" or 5 1/2"bbl to the .357 and you'll see what I mean.
Feel the difference and then pick what you like best.

Regards,
Mike
Old December 21, 2012, 12:35 AM   #21
gak

+1 .357 of you don't reload, .45. Colt if you do. Also +1, watch the barrel length on the .357 for that barrel-heavy aspect mentioned, depending on your use: Packing it on your hip as a trail companion vs predominatley range use. Anyway, lots of small holes in that chambering means lots of metal left over. Nothing you can do about the cylinder, so you're left with barrel choice as the only potential moderating factor.

I'm glad a few folks finally mentioned that it is the New Vaquero (large N) likely being discussed, and not the "old"/original/large frame "Vaquero." The latter can shoot virtually any .45 Colt load, just like the NM Blackhawk with which it shares its frame. Both New and "old" Vaquero can shoot virtually any .357 load, so the decision in either is weight, also mentioned. Most find the New Vaquero more than adequate for .357 and the larger "old" Vaquero overkill--or at least not necessary--heft wise.

Contributing to the mis-naming by folks and adding to the confusion for many - for some odd reason, for the past two or three years Ruger (with its distributors/vendors following suit) has been calling its New Vaquero line just Vaquero in its literature. (The limited distributor-only New Vaquero .44 Special is an additional oddity in having just "Vaquero" on its frame; all others to date say "New Vaquero" on them.) The use of Vaquero vs New Vaquero is supposed to denote large (BH/SBH) versus the smaller "mid" frame size shared among .357, .44 Sp and .45 Flattops and New Vaqueros, and other design/feature changes when the New Vaquero took over from the Vaquero ca 2005 or so.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:32 AM   #22
ZVP

I bought a 4 5/8" .357 since I don't reload and have found both the CAS reduced velocity Winchesters nice to shoot as well as full power Remington 158 gr LRN fun!
As stated the NM Vaquero is a standard duty frame and those super heavy Blackhawk loads ate unsafe!!!
Standard. .357 loads can be shot all day thri a NM tho. The gun issas for standard .357s.
HTH.
ZVP
Old December 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #23
gak

Magnumwheelman said:
"... & just to clairify, the Vaquero, is not "Ruger loads only" strong, those should be reserved for the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawks... the frame on the Vaqueros are sized the same as the old Colts, so I don't shoot "hot" 45 Colt loads.."

I think you meant the New Vaquero.is not "Ruger loads only" strong. The Vaquero is most certainly "Ruger only" strong for .45's as it is built on the same frame as the large BH/SBH.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:21 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I am looking at buying a Ruger Vaquero.
Stop right there!

Any further discussion needs to know which Vaquero you are looking at.

Because there are two different "Vaqueros".

The Vaquero was made with the same size frame as the New Model Blackhawks (and Super Blackhawk). IT is a bigger, beefier gun than the Colt SAA and clones. It will handle Blackhawk "Ruger ONLY" loads in .45 Colt.

The New Vaquero (and it says "New Vaquero" on the frame) is the same size as the Colt SAA, and is NOT built to take the "Ruger ONLY" heavy .45 Colt loads! It has plenty of metal in it to handle full .357 Mag loads though.

So, knowing which gun you are looking at determines which options are eliminated, which is germane to which chambering is better for your intended use. Vaqueros have been out of production for some time, but there are lots out there still, some still new in the box.

A new production gun will be the New Vaquero.

If there is one thing I wish I could slap the guys at Ruger for, its the naming policy for these guns. Even though the guns say on them either "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero" is it very difficult in conversation to tell which one you are talking about.

To make matters even worse, some people refer to the original Vaquero as the "old model". And the term "old model" is used by collectors/shooters (not Ruger) to refer to all the Ruger SA's with the pre-1973 lockwork (no transfer bar). There are no Vaqueros (of any kind) with this lockwork.

SO, which one is the one you are looking at buying?
Old December 21, 2012, 07:27 PM   #25
colbad

I went with .357 for mine. Ammo much cheaper than .45