The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
hammer58

.45 ACP Primer Question

I have just begun re-loading for my .45 ACP. I have been saving the brass from factory loads for a few months so that I would have brass to load as soon as I was able to purchase the dies. I noticed that some of the brass uses the Federal 150 primers (Large pistol primer) and some of the brass (Blazer and some Federal) use the small pistol primer.

I am loading 5 grains of Hodgdon HP-38 powder with a 230 gr LRN.

My question is this. What affect if any will using the small primers have on my loads?
Old August 4, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
golfnutrlv

The effect is minimal. I cannot see a difference in accuracy, recoil, or functionality between the two.

A small pistol primer should have no trouble lighting the charge. HP-38 is a good choice for your load. I prefer Bullseye, but either should work. Bullseye provides a little more appropriate burn rate for .45, and the pressure is moderate.

Just a word to the wise, make sure and seperate your small/large brass!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
PawPaw

Yep, we're starting to see small primers in the .45 ACP, particularly in the Non-Toxic ammo. It's aggravating, but something we're going to have to live with as I suspect that more manufacturers are going to use NT primers.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 7, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4
area51

I see more and more small primers in the .45 ACP. I don't mind it so much unless I have to sort a bunch of it. I believe spp will be the new standard in the future.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:27 PM   #5
ThisIsMySig

As golfnut says, be sure you sort large/small primer brass. You don't want to try stuffing a large primer into a small primer pocket. I don't see any difference between them either.

What type of reloading equipment are you using? You should be able to tell immediately if you try to seat the wrong primer.

I pick up a mountain of range brass and only occasionally come across small primer brass.

NRA Member
Old August 8, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Don P

No difference in performance and looking at it from a manufacturing point it simplifies the making of ammo to one size pistol primer fits all.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:55 AM   #7
rclark

No difference performance wise. But I toss all small primer pocket .45 ACP. Large has been THE standard, and I'll stick with it, plus no need to 'sort'.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8
ThisIsMySig

Yeah, I prefer the large primers too. One reason is that they're easier to find when I drop one on the floor.

But, if ya don't sort 'em, how do ya find 'em?

NRA Member
Old August 8, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
mikld

Been reading posts about 45 ACP large vs small primers for a couple years. The major reason folks don't like them (besides plain ole stubborness) is they'll stop up a progressive press. Pre small primed 45ACPs some reloaders would just dump the cases in the auto case feeder without looking at them (don't know when they inspected their brass/ammo? when they were loading a magazine?). When a small primer pocket got mixed in with the large primer pockets it got fed a large primer the machine would stop and the operator would have to clear the malfunction.

I reload on a turret and I inspect every case before it goes in my press so I don't have a problem w/small pistol primers in 45ACP!
Old August 8, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Strafer Gott

Not only are large pistol primers easier to find on the floor, they're easier to find at the store!
Old August 8, 2012, 11:32 AM   #11
ThisIsMySig

The main reason I don't "upgrade" to a turret press is that I feel I would loose a certain measure of safety. With my single stage press, it is easier to inspect every phase of the reload process.

Yeah, I would love an automated powder measure, but even though weighing each charge is slower, I trust it more and I can inspect each case for a double charge, or no charge, before I seat the bullet.

The only "automated" part of my press is the priming system. I can resize and decap on the upstroke, load a primer from the feeder, and seat in on the downstroke.

I use carbide dies and even though I don't have to lube the cases, I do so because it gives me a chance to really inspect each case. Besides, they slide through the sizing die real nice when lubed.

NRA Member
Old August 8, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
The major reason folks don't like them (besides plain ole stubborness)
Ha ha, "plain old stubborness" is a wee bit short sighted.

.45 ACP reloadable brass has been around for like 110 years. Did you get that? Over a hundred years before some wank made the first piece of small primer .45 ACP brass.

That's kind of like someone deciding that beginning on Tuesday, August 28th, 2012, that it will now be acceptable to exchange "left" for "right" freely. Anything on the left can now properly be called "right" and anything to the familiar right side will now be properly named as "being on the left" whenever needed.

No, we aren't getting rid of the old terms -- left can still be left and right can still be right, it's just that NOW, some things on the left can be referred to properly and accurately as being on the right, and vice-versa.

Also, the U.S. Government will be introducing a new unit of money called the Gilko. The Gilko will be used in trade much like the dollar is currently used, and will be legal tender for all trade in the United States. Mixing the dollar and the Gilko is possible, but it takes an intense formula of conversion fraught with pitfalls such that it should be avoided whenever possible. Thus, if you find your pocket filled with both Dollars and Gilkos, you should freely spend both or either but it's the safest and smoothest best to use them in entirely separate transactions so as not to attempt to traverse the conversion pitfalls.

We may not see a lot of benefit in the Gilko right now, but be sure that in a hundred years, it will likely be the standard even if more folks tend to have a supply of dollars currently.
Old August 8, 2012, 12:14 PM   #13
rclark

Quote:
But, if ya don't sort 'em, how do ya find 'em?
Just don't bring the small primer cases home when I run into them at the range . You're right though, ... when I didn't know about this issue, I did bring a few home. Wasn't until I inspected 'em before putting in my storage boxes did I notice the difference. Call that sorting . Also threw/throw out the cases with non-standard large flash holes too.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

I save the small primer brass till I have a one pound coffee can full of them. Then I load them up. I save them for the times I know for sure I will not be able to recover the brass. I also have some steel cased garbage saved up in the event of going to a range that you can not pick up brass at. If they want my cases they can have the steel ones. No use in loosing good reusable brass.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:42 PM   #15
spacecoast

The small primer .45s are getting more common, and I really don't mind. I can see where it would be a problem for you "progressives", however.
Old August 11, 2012, 06:21 AM   #16
Misssissippi Dave

I sorted all my brass by primer size. I took a different approch to the problem. I normally load on a Dillon 550b and most of my pistol loads use a small primer. I didn't want to have to change the primer feed every time I change calibers so I got a Dillon Square Deal press for the large primer rounds. I probably should have gotten another 550b. Having one press for large primers and one for small makes short work to load up all the cases regardless of the primer size. I just set both to load the same depending on primer.

I have loaded a fair amount of the Federal and Blazer small primer .45 cases with 185 MG JHP and 5.2 grains of WST using OAL 1.200". They work the same for me as using everything the same in a case with a Large pistol primer.