The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 14, 2000, 10:21 PM   #1
MFH

Has anyone tried to re-bore or re-barrel an M1 to 35 Whelen?
What problems will be encountered in doing so?
Thanks! MFH
Old February 15, 2000, 08:45 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

MFH, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. I've never converted one to .35 Whelen. Folks like to convert them to the .308. It would make for a very interesting project but I think you may have to feel your way on this one. George
Old February 15, 2000, 09:23 AM   #3
BBBBill

There's an article in a recent issue of Gun World about conversions with a new gas system to .358. Looks like a real barn burner. I'm not sure how this will hold up long term. I'm concerned about battering loking lugs/receiver & op rod cam. Interesting concept, tho'.
Old February 15, 2000, 01:15 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just off the wall, as I have not checked, but the M1 barrel is pretty thin out toward the end, and I wonder how it would take the bigger hole. It can't be made bigger because of the gas cylinder diameter, etc.

Jim
Old February 15, 2000, 01:33 PM   #5
BBBBill

Jim, it's a new barrel AND gas system. The op rod is shortened & further modified. Gas system is fabricated from scratch. The conversion does away with the front handguard also. Still, I'm concerned with the longevity of the gun with such a hot, heavy chambering. I have a hard time believing that the op rod cam slot, bolt lugs, & receiver lug shoulders will survive.
Old February 15, 2000, 09:05 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, BBBBill,

I have not seen those, but the initial question mentioned reboring. That .358 conversion sounds like something someone did for the fun of doing it. We shall see if there is any demand and if the price is right.

Jim
Old February 15, 2000, 10:37 PM   #7
Cactus

A local Tacoma, WA gunsmith, Rick McCann, has converted M-1 Garands to shoot 35 Whelens and many other rounds, including 338 Win. Mag. There is a magazine article by Chuck Karwan regarding his conversions, but I can't remember the magazine.

E-mail me if you would like the address to contact him.
Old February 15, 2000, 10:48 PM   #8
BBBBill

That's the article I'm talking about. I'm probably mistaken about the caliber of the conversion (338 vs 358). It was in the most recent Gun World issue. Thanks for correcting my misinfo. Boy, that hurts to think about!