The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1
wogpotter

Faux ivory grips redux.

I've been thinking about getting a set of these for my Uberti made 1858 Remington replica. I've checked in on here for suppliers & have found 3 that are interesting to me as I don't want to spend more than about $50.00 out the door.
The question is for those that have already done this.
What was the process like? Good, bad, or indifferent?
I'm looking at one vendor who has several diferent pre-made grips & al you do is order by model, and another that does a fair amount of custom options, like medallions & so on. What's the opiniin of the tribe on my best bet for a good fitting set out of the box?
Old May 26, 2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Dino.

I just bought a pair of faux ivory grips for my 1849 from here ...
http://westernandwildlifewonders.com...a14790be8319ba

Once I placed my order, I received an email requesting that I send them a tracing of the grip frame which concerned me a little. After talking to "Don" on the phone, he explained that he had over 90 molds for the 1849 and that "no two grips are alike". My first thought was "then how the heck does the manufacture sell replacement grips, let alone all the after-market offerings?"

Long story short, I agreed to send him a tracing, tore the gun down, made him an exact template, and sent it off in the mail. A couple days later, he called just to let me know he received it and told me that it would take a couple weeks (which I expected).

In the meantime, I had ordered a new backstrap from the manufacture.
It came in a couple days after my conversation with "Don" about the grips.
When I swapped out the backstrap, the screws matched up okay but the backstrap didn't match up properly to the frame.

IMO, this only confirmed what "Don" had told me when he said "no two grips are the same". So, if you do order from a company that claims to have grips for your gun and they do not ask you for a tracing, you may have to do some fitting once you get them. Then again, it may not be an issue for your 1858. But it may be worth asking.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Hardcase

Wog, I suspect that one of the vendors you're considering is Tombstone.

I ordered a set of grips from him earlier this year and sent a tracing of the factory grips for the same reason that Dino mentioned. I'm very happy with the end product - a faux ivory set. I had to do a bit of finish sanding, which I had expected, to fit them to the backstrap, but it was all of maybe half an hour's work.

As far as a good fit out of the box, I think that the chances of that are about zero. You're going to have to do some sanding because not only are there differences from manufacturer to manufacturer, but within the product line itself there is a pretty significant lack of consistency. But that should not dissuade you. As long as you send a tracing of your existing frame (or grips), you should get a set that is pretty easy to finish up.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:26 PM   #4
kwhi43

Just ordered my Ivory from Dixie for 35.00 Will be here tommorrow. Will
give a report then.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
ClemBert

I have nothing to add or aid in your quest for faux ivory grips other than to say I like the look on cap-n-ball revolvers. Mine are more of a brighter white rather than a classic ivory color but I like the clean look. They are Ruger and Pietta factory grips, respectively.

Let us know how it turns out and post pics when you get the new grips installed.

Old May 26, 2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Dino.

Awesome pics ClemBert!
Old May 26, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7
wogpotter

Thanks folks. Mainly I was checking into service from the 3.
One I spoke with on the phone earlier today. Unfortunately he eliminated himself during the conversation!

That leaves me 2 options, but one doesn't seem to have grips for the model I have (1858 Remington "new army") so it looks like I'm going with "Tombstone" as my choice.

From all the information I can find grip shapes vary enormously, even within a given model & brand, so I was expecting the template issue.

Nothing against western wildlife & wonders I just can't find a grip listed from them for the pistol I have.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Rifleman1776

The first post sorta complained about the price. I make some items, not grips, from faux or alternate ivory. There is subsitute/faux/alternative ivory and there are several kinds. The one I would classify as the 'good' one is an expensive material. A completed pair of grips from that at $50.00 strikes me as an excellent price. The other materials I would not classify as suitable for grips. BTW, the 'good' stuff is very hard to work with, the time involved is worth something as well.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:59 PM   #9
PetahW

An Audi is nothing but a more expensive Volkswagen......
Old May 26, 2010, 08:55 PM   #10
suzukibruce

i have been in communication with dave at tombstone most of the week. they don't have the ingredients for the black pearl grips that i want for my remmy but they have a huge selection of other colors and styles. i have had their grips on several of my guns, including a paintball gun that used grips identical to 1911's... he is a great guy and they make a real quality product.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:54 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Tombstone makes a nice, affordable grip. They are cast oversize and do require fitting. He sends along a well done set of instructions.

DGW also sells some fine grips, I recently put this set on Baby Dragoon.

These are a set of Tombstone grips for a 1911 that I modded for a Ruger MK.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; May 27, 2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 07:26 AM   #12
ClemBert

Back in January I corresponded with Dave Corbin over at Tombstone about availability of stainless grip screw hardware to include the escutcheon/nut in stainless steel since I own some SS revolvers. Unfortunately, he doesn't offer any of his grips with SS hardware. That's too bad because I really like some of his grips and especially his prices. He did indicate that he'd incorporate SS hardware if I sent him the pieces. Perhaps I'll do that in the future.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:58 AM   #13
wogpotter

Quote:
The first post sorta complained about the price.
Sorry if it came off that way. The intention in posting the price was to indicate that I didn't intend to spend a lot more on real hand-carved items for a pistol I only paid a small amount for. This was just to avoid confusion.
Many of the ones I looked at were in the $30~50 range & that was the range I was looking into, even though there are some really fine hand-done ones I just couldn't justify $500 grips on a $300 gun.

Quote:
An Audi is nothing but a more expensive Volkswagen......
So's a Porche if you look at it in the right light

Thanks again fols, I have to try & find '58 Remy grips on DGW. So far I'm not having any luck doing so.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:48 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Thanks again fols, I have to try & find '58 Remy grips on DGW. So far I'm not having any luck doing so.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=6076
Old May 28, 2010, 08:41 AM   #15
wogpotter

Thanks.
My search-fu seems weak today
Old May 31, 2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Dino.

Just got my grips from westernandwildlifewonders.com
They needed quite a bit of shaping, but fortunately I was given enough excess material to work with.

Old May 31, 2010, 01:44 PM   #17
wogpotter

Update:

I spoke with both the guy at "another vendor" who didn't want my business, and Tombstone grips. I know the "another vendor" didn't want it because he told me so

OK, so he doesn't need my $30.00 I wish him well dealing with prospective new customers in this economy.

Then I had a quick conversation by e-mail with Tombstone! What a difference.
I recieved a detailed, hand written, not automated, reply that was pleasant, informative & encouraging. The writer read my questions, addressed the issuers in detail & responded accurately, informatively & promptly. Guess who got the order?

Now all I have to do is wait for the drawings to get there, the grips to be made & mailed back to me so I can do the final fitting.
Old June 25, 2010, 02:17 PM   #18
wogpotter

Update here:
The grips arrived a couple of days ago, but there was a fitting problem I could not solve.
I e-mailed the folks at Tombstone who are going to re-do the grips so they will be able to be fitted to the grip frame.

Apart from that issue the grips were solid-feeling, not at all "plasticky", & semi-matte finished. They came with detailed instructions & a tips & tricks information sheet so I can either finish them slick & glossy, or not, as I see fit.

The defective set has been returned to the seller & we are working together to get a really nice finished product. I'll update again when the replacements arrive.
Old June 25, 2010, 04:17 PM   #19
kwhi43

I got these from Dixie. Cost 35.00 About 1/2 hour fitting. They say they
will turn yellow.