The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1
BlueDragon

Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to shoot slugs through this?

Not sure, and want to make sure i can before i do, given this is an old shotgun.
It's a Steven's Savage 820B pump action shotgun. I just want to know if i can shoot slugs out of it. on the barrel it is marked with "Proof Tested 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch chamber"
Old March 10, 2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Yes.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:25 AM   #3
b.thomas

Should be able too but if you have a full choke your accuracy may not be the best. Don't use sabot slugs as their meant for rifled barrels only, not smooth bores.
Old March 11, 2008, 06:47 PM   #4
mikenbarb

If you are in question in regards to the guns condition, You should look at the managed recoil line of slugs made by most name brand manufactures. They have a heck of a wallop on deer sized game out to 100 yds. and they have alot less chamber pressure versus the standard 2 3/4 slugs. I wouldnt recomend shooting slugs out of a full choked gun due to the constriction of the choke being too tight. Most manufactures recommend imp.cyl. and cyl. bore chokes. Modified choke will be ok also, but most guns wont shoot slugs accurately over 40 yds with it. If you want to get real fancy then send your barrel to Briley in Texas and they will thread your barrel for screw in chokes and then you have the option to get into the sabot type slugs for real long range shooting with a rifled choke tube installed. Good luck with your Savage, they are good guns and alot have been passed down for generations. I have one thats in my vault thats been thru 5 generations in my family and its still kicking healthy and killing game every year.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Hawg

I likewise wouldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke.