The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
WeaponX

Best safe for $2000=$2500

Was hoping some of you out there could share your thoughts on the best deals and best gun safes for around $2000-$2500. I'm looking for minimum 40 gun capacity and 60 min fire rating. Been looking at the Liberty Fat Boy.....but interested in others opinions and experiences.

Thanks.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Barber2678

for my money, the Fat Boy is the way to go. I need the volume and at $1600 (Gander Mt. sale next weekend) it is hard to beat. There are lots of better safes and lots of lower quality safes out there though. Might want to look at Fort Knox, they are good too and have some that fit in your range. Something to keep in mind; any safe can be defeated given enough time and the right tools. Get at least a 60 minute safe with 10 or 11 ga. body.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:29 AM   #3
a1abdj

The AMSEC BF series will be slightly above your price range, but will provide FAR better security, and FAR better fire protection than most anything else for the price.

The BF6636 will run around $3,000 including shipping from an authorized dealer, and has a 42 gun stated capacity. You can verify if a dealer is legitimate by checking on the AMSEC website.
Old November 24, 2009, 01:36 AM   #4
skeeter

While I do not know 1/10 of what a1abdj knows about safes ( and that is bragging) I do agree 100% that the BF series is the way to go. Save up for the difference and get it, it is worth saving for.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Adirondack

I agree with a1abdj on the AMSEC BF series (he is the expert on the subject of course). I like AMSECs use of light weight concrete ("Drylite") fire lining instead of drywall; the 1/2 steel door is also a big plus IMO.

Another company that I am really impressed with and ended up buying a safe from is Sturdy Safe. They are in the same price range as the AMSEC BF series but offer heavier gage steel on the body but not on the door and high temp ceramic wool for insulation instead of concrete.

For the price range, I'd say either of these are great choices.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6
snowdog650

Liberty.
Old December 2, 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
ISC

My new Fat Boy was $1100 delivered. It doesn't hold as many guns as they say it does unless most of your collection is handguns. If someone is absolutely determined to get into your safe, they will. Even a cheap safe can be more secure than a top end safe if the thieves never find the cheap safe but the expensive safe is clearly visable. Hide your safe by keeping it covered and out of site and don't tell/show people where it's located.

My primary concern was fire damage and teens/crackheads doing a smash and grab. Liberty is adequete for both of those things. When I move I want to choose a large walk in closet, line it with fire rated sheetrock, install a fire rated steel security door on the closet, and move my safes in there. At that point I'd feel alot more secure.

Tags
fat boy , liberty , safe