The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Cap Fragmentation

Shooters:
I shoot my Ruger Old Army using 40 grains of Pyrodex and a CCI Magnum cap.
The caps really get blasted apart. The bananna peel effect. I am wondering if this is normal, caused by the heavy load, the magnum type cap, or something to do with the size of the nipple holes. No big deal, but the pieces sometimes jam the cylinder, even though I flip the gun sideways after each shot.
I see special nipples with smaller holes offered, but they run almost $30 a set, a lot of $$$ to spend if it won't make a difference. I have tried Uncle Mikes, and the factory Ruger nipples and both seem about the same. One thing, the gun ALWAYS goes off!!! Thanks!
Gascheck
Old April 1, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Pahoo

I feel you have hit on the problem. Most of the time it's not predicatable except when I load hot. A fiend of mine had nipples with smaller vents compared to mine and decided to drill his out as he thought this might improve ignition. Now he has the same complaint. Be safe !!!

Quote:
Progress: Trading one nuisance off for another.
Old April 1, 2008, 05:48 PM   #3
GASCHECK

I was thinking of maybe trying loading just a ball and a cap and see in what condition it ends up. I can easily knock out the ball with a brass rod wherever it gets stuck. I load 40 grains because then I don't have to bother with filler or wads. Still a mild shooter compared to my Super 44 Mag.
Gascheck
Old April 1, 2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't shoot a Ruger but you're going to get fragmented caps no matter what you shoot or what your loads are. It's part of it. You might get something like Treso nipples that will minimize it but you will still have some.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:49 PM   #5
long rider

You could check out one of the guys on this
forum, jbar4ranch he has more rugers than ruger
Old April 5, 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Grizz Adams

I used to shoot a pair of ROAs, and I found that the only caps that worked well for me where Remington #10. You should use a wooden dowel to seat them.