The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2008, 09:03 AM   #51
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Getting away from the thread topic--which has been common throughout --and on to a couple of points just to ponder:

First, many "lesser" cartridges kill, but not necessarily quickly--and we then get into "ethically" and "humanely".

Then, we get into attitudes: Bambi is a Noble Beast, deserving of that quick, clean, humane ethical kill. We've said that here, a gazillion times, right? Okay: Feral hogs are pests. I can see from the tone of posts about hunting them that they don't cause that Noble Beast emotion, which then affects attitudes about what is an appropriate cartridge.

No big deal; just something to consider.

Back to my coffee...

Art
Old February 23, 2008, 10:54 AM   #52
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Art, Good point to make... I do consider ferral hogs a pest as are ferral cats... As a nuisance wildlife permit holder I see them as nothing more than roaches... I do try for a clean kill with every pull of the trigger and will not hunt with less than satisfactory caliber and bullet weight. A .22lr has limitations when cat hunting and a .30-30 or shotgun slug do too when used for deer hogs or other larger game. Deer are in high enuff population that they could easily be considered pests. I know them snooty homeowners that call for ferral hog removal also lose plenty of shrubbery to deer. I just can't target them as I can the hogs...
Brent
Old February 23, 2008, 12:46 PM   #53
kingudaroad

I personally would sell my computer and cancel my internet access if I did not have the legal means to feed my family.

A criminal, who in his own mind is justified, is still a criminal.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:55 PM   #54
Edward429451

A lot of my work comes over the internet also. Should I do the right thing and let the work source go, just so I don't have to take a deer that belongs to everyone except me?

It all comes down to situational ethics no matter how you look at it. I guess thats why there are judges and juries. The poacher with a 10K can beer can collection should get punished, whereas the father of 5 that works 2 jobs and still can't keep them fed may be deserving of a break.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:55 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would sell my puter and cancel my net service too... to buy ammo... A ten year old puter is worth 100 bucks... MAYBE and I pay 10 bucks fer innernet service... So I can buy a hundred bucks worth of beef, how far will that go? Or a hundred bucks worth of slugs and buckshot and over time supply my family with thousands of dollars worth of venison... A violation of a game law does not a criminal make... But as for me and mine we haven't had to resort to this... YET. As a kid we ate lots of out of season deer to stave off hunger.
Brent
Old February 23, 2008, 01:17 PM   #56
Sarge

I have a cape. I can fly, after I jump in a phone booth and put on my Capitan Cankersore suit. I then ignore FAA rules, barnstorm senior centers and kindergartens in my diabolical efforts to scare the frail and helpless out of their skivvies. Oh, BTW I am responsible for the Lindbergh Kidnapping, too. Whataya gonna do, report me?

For folks afflicted with Hall Monitor Complex I would suggest a career in law enforcement. Go to work for a good sized city with a real ghetto and a high violent crime rate. You'll overdose on 'other people's business' and 'stories made up to get attention' in the first six months.

You'll also develop a special place in your heart for people who allege that others have committed crimes- based on nothing other than smack-talk and hearsay.
Old February 24, 2008, 06:51 PM   #57
Desertfox

strange how this post swerved and curved to this point.
Old February 24, 2008, 07:26 PM   #58
spctim11

oldbillthundercheif

I shot a pig earlier this month out at Pearl River WMA with my .40 you want to call LDWF on me. Do you know by their laws/rules I wasn't allowed to hunt pigs with a rifle. Go figure that out.
Old February 24, 2008, 09:26 PM   #59
elrod

Sarge
Quote:
You'll overdose on 'other folks business' and 'stories made up to get attention' in the first six months.

You nailed it! That was my thought as soon as I read the OP. Who was harmed? Feral pigs are a nusance. And this happened on a reserve. Some people need to choose their battles more carefully, IMHO.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:21 AM   #60
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Hall Monitor Complex": Luvvit! I'm gonna steal it...

I won't lock this, since I've been as much of a pest as anybody, but why don't we just quit, now? Pretty please?

, Art
Old February 25, 2008, 01:56 PM   #61
TNFrank

Handgun laws for big game in Tennessee are .24cal or larger, 4" barrel or longer, no FMJ or Ball ammo and that's about it. Personally, I'd not use a 9x19mm on hogs but I'm sure many have and many hogs have been killed with it.
“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr.11/2/2001
Old February 25, 2008, 02:25 PM   #62
freakshow10mm

Quote:
In fact, a 9mm in Wisconsin is always illegal. The DNR has designated just what a "power factor" is for a pistol, and also the barrel length. I don't mean to speak in generalities, but this means you are limited to magnum firearms with barrels of more than five inches and turn-bolt pistols of rifle calibers.
This is absolutely 100% incorrect information. A 9mm in WI is LEGAL.

Quote:
Handguns:
• To be legal for deer, handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or
larger and have a 5½ inch minimum barrel, measured from the iring pin to the
muzzle with the action closed.

• You may not possess a concealed handgun.
• Muzzleloading handguns, see “Muzzleloaders,” above.
• It is illegal to hunt with a handgun if under age 18
Now where does it say 9mm is illegal or there is any power factor involved?

The deer and black bear minimums are 5.5" from firing pin (breechface) to muzzle with action closed. This means that a 4 inch barreled revolver is actually longer than what the industry says. The industry doesn't count the cyclinder in the barrel measurement but the WI DNR says "from the firing pin to the muzzle with the actio closed" which also includes the cylinder.

A Ruger GP100 with industry 4 inch barrel plus the cylinder length is 5.6 inches from muzzle to firing pin with the action closed. This meets the barrel length requirement. Semi autos will have the chamber taken in the measurement so a four inch semi auto is a true four inches. In order for a semi auto to be allowed for hunting it will need at least a 5.5 inch barrel installed, which are available on the aftermarket.

In addition to revolvers that meet the barrel length requirement, don't forget the TC Encore and Contender single shot pistols, the Desert Eagle pistol, the Auto Mag pistols, etc.

The cartridge must be a .22 caliber centerfire or larger. So you can use a .22 Hornet if you want to.
Old February 25, 2008, 03:09 PM   #63
wyocarp

It seems so many of us have so little to do but call "foul" for everything someone does wrong. Loosen the collar a little.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:57 PM   #64
FrontSight

Aren't rats treated harshly in most parts of the world? I mean, every rat needs to squeak up if a lot of the cheese is getting taken away unfairly and blatantly; that's just a given and fair. But as a standard rule, most big rats, the real annoying kind, are not tolerated very well for very long, right?
Old February 26, 2008, 10:00 AM   #65
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Scrap, I dunno about that. They keep getting re-elected...
Old February 26, 2008, 06:43 PM   #66
Turkeyhead

I figure I'll toss my two cents into the fray here...

If you break a law, you are a criminal. It's as simple as that. How much of a criminal you are depends on the offense. A deer poacher is not, in my mind, as much of a criminal as a bank robber, but the deer poacher is still a criminal. The punishment may be as little as a small fine, whereas the bank robber will almost certainly face jail time.

My point is, stay on the straight and narrow, and things will sort themselves out.
Old February 26, 2008, 06:48 PM   #67
TNFrank

Let me put it this way. I have a hard enough time when I go hunting legally for deer without having to deal with pochers taking all the game animals away from me in an illegal manner. Hunting laws are there for a reason. We have more whitetail deer in this country then when it was first settled by Eurpeans so the hunting laws must be doing some good and it's for our own good that we follow them.
“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr.11/2/2001