The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2006, 09:34 PM   #1
mileaway

Need held in identifying this pistol

Hi, I have a black powder cap And ball pistol, I would like to know the manufacturer. I want to know who makes the pistol. I have one and I would like to get another one the same. I will describe everything I can see. On the top of the barrel it is stamped like this.(1860 new model army"CENTENNIAL trade mark Chicago U. S. A.) that's on top of the barrel. On the side of the barrel. (Made in Belgium cal.44 ) and then it has a (u) sideways and then a line with three points looks like an arrow with three heads. And a crown and a (R) sideways that's on the side of the barrel. The cylinder is Fluted. There's a little mark on it but I can't make it out its (R) sideways and something else. On the frame the below the hammer on each side there's a bolt sticking out about a half of an inch. I believe it's for a shoulder stock. Above the trigger guard it looks like a picture of a hoarse but it doesn't have a head it looks like a guy shooting a rifle the rifle is just a very small line. No engraving butter very nice blue finish I like the Gun very much. I have been on the Internet for two days and can not find anything I would really appreciate if somebody can throw some light on this pistol I would like to buy another like to know the manufacture of this gun thank you
Old March 31, 2006, 10:08 PM   #2
mec

It sounds like a copy of the 1860 army. Probably imported during the 1970s or before. If the cylinder is engraved instead of fluetted, the scene would be rolled on the cylinder. It is an artist's impression of the Hays Big Fight on the Pedernales. the screws that stick out are probably shoulder stock lugs.
Old April 1, 2006, 12:01 AM   #3
mileaway

Thanks MEC, forgetting back. I looked on the cylinder is fluted theirs are (u) sideways. And a little circle with very small lettering in one of the flutes where the u is. It has a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I don't think it was ever shot. It's not in a box. The only ware is from handling it and it was stored in a bag with a whole bunch of other stuff and it. I really would like to know who makes it. Anyway thanks for getting back.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:56 AM   #4
mec

An army replica looks like this.

The earliest replicas were made in Belgium then things seemed to drift over to Italy. The first percussion replica I ever saw was a 60 army with shoulderstock ina a display case. It was from belgium.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:50 AM   #5
manyirons

NIce thing is, i've seen these Centennials, the belgians certainly did a good job and with gunmaking tradition took some pride in these, pity theyre probably outta tha market fer money so italy came next as well as some from spain, cheaper labor and it shows!
Old April 1, 2006, 09:14 AM   #6
mec

My memory of that first one I saw was that it was extremely well finished.
Old April 1, 2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Bootsie

Mileaway: sorry for the belated comment but found this topic only recently. You have a C&B revolver made by Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liege (FAUL) in Belgium. Pistol goes by the name Centaure aka Centennial Army aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" or simply Belgian Colt 1860. Less than 16000 were made between 1959 and 1973. Four basic models are known:
#1: regular New Model Army: 3 screw frame, recoil shield cut for stock, toe normally cut for stock, 8" barrel - some 15 variations are known including pistols in high gloss finish/"in the white" (stainless look), rebated plain cylinders, 2 different naval scenes, fully fluted cylinders, stainless (FAUL made the fist re-issue 1860 in stainless in 1972), etc.
#2: Civilian Model: 3 srew frame, not cut for stock in recoil shield and toe, trigger guard and back strap silver plated, cylinder with proprietary Centaure naval scene, 8" barrel. 2 variations are known. "C" prefix before serial number.
#3: Cavalry Model: 4 screw frame, cut for stock in recoil shield and toe, came normally with matchin stock, 7,5" barrel, fully fluted cylinder. Your pistol seems to be one of these. "F" prefix before the serial number.
#4: Marshal Model: 3 and 4 screw frame, cut for stock in recoil shield and toe, 5,5" barrel, fully fluted cylinder, high gloss finish/"In the white" (stainless look). 3 variations known.
For further details visit the Centaure website www.1960nma.org
Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf