The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 1999, 02:01 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I picked up an old Krag-Jorgensen pretty cheap. It has a nice Redfield peep sight mounted at the read of the action.

There are two holes drilled and tapped into the barrel, located four inches and almost six inches forward of the bolt face.

Question: Are these attachment holes for the original military rear sight? They appear to be a #8, if not a #10. What perturbs me is that they are drilled rather deep. Not much steel left from the bottom of the holes to the bore...

The possibility of just living with blind screws exists, of course, since I don't plan on much shooting, and then with mild loads. Or, possibly careful wire-welding from the bottom up? Dunno.

George, you have any ideas?

Regards, Art
Old March 29, 1999, 07:50 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Art, if I read you right the holes don't go through and actually into the bore. I've done the following with several rifles after either drilling & tapping for scopes or if that was done at the factory and the owner just wants the sight screw holes filled in. Buy or make threaded plugs in mild steel about 1/16" longer than necessary. Screw in, pean them down then polish and blue as usual. Very rarely can you even tell they are there. Welding would probably work just fine as well. George
Old March 29, 1999, 07:53 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Almost forgot. Yes, these are screw holes for the old rear sight. George
Old March 29, 1999, 09:59 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

George: Thanks. I'll just use the blind screws; I have some which will let me follow your notion.
Old March 29, 1999, 11:01 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know how "sporterized" that Krag is, but you might consider using regular plug screws. They are easy to get used to and that way if you ever want to restore that Krag, you can remove them and put on the original sight. Krags are becoming pretty valuable.
Old March 30, 1999, 12:42 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, Jim, there were two other Krags at the gunshow I was at, and both were rather ratty-looking. And the guys were asking around $600! I thought mine at $250 was more like it...