The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 19, 2012, 02:43 AM   #76
DanWesson357

Quote from 45 auto
Worst one I still own is probably a pristine S&W M27 made in the 1950's. Reason it's pristine is probably because the flash gap is so tight (one thousandth of an inch) that it starts binding up after firing one or two cylinders of ammo, so it has had very few rounds through it. I really ought to get it opened up one day.

My Dan Wesson needs to be adjusted. It locks up after 3 or more cylinders. Luckily, Dan Wessons have removable barrels. However, I never bought the barrel wrench or spacing tool because they're a bit pricy for someone who's really been pinching pennies for a while. Perhaps I'll check a local gun shop and *maybe* get lucky enough to find one with a smith that has both.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:33 PM   #77
80viking

A very early Ruger P85. This was my first handgun purchase when I turned 21. I thought that I could not shoot worth a darn, until I shot a friends gun. That Ruger could not even find the paper at 25ft. Years later I read that the early P-series Rugers were plagued with accuracy problems.

Astra A90, the barrel lug broke off while I was shooting it, so it went back to Interarms, and the grips were very thin because it was a double stack 45ACP. It broke 2 sets of grips that were NLA.

Life is too short to be messing with junk!
Old December 19, 2012, 09:43 PM   #78
EricReynolds

Jennings J22. I parted with mine years ago. I regret it though. Would have made a nice key chain.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:23 PM   #79
got ammo?

Worst gun ever? Problably an AMT automag II. a jamster that wasnt accurate for sheet. The only ammo it didn't jam with was Remmy gold .22wmr, Fiocci supreme, or sometimes it ate a mag of Hornady V max with only 1 or 2 jams a mag. The fully adjustible rear sight didn't mean a thing, as each shot was about 5 inches 10 o'clock or 4" at 7 o'clock from the previous shot.
I learned to love my Ruger Single Six even more after that episode.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:28 PM   #80
BerdanSS

Band new 3rd gen glock 22. hands down WORST gun I've ever owned. Had it for three weeks and traded it for a beretta G Elite II in .40 S&W...never looked back.

(I do have other glocks...21, 19, 26...all fine pistols)
Old December 20, 2012, 12:19 PM   #81
hdbiker

worst gun owned

742 Rem. carbine,in .308 Win.Owned it for 50 years.Never would groupe better than 2 1/2 inches @ 100yds no matter what load I used in it.Scratched,broken forarm,bolt cover gone. It has never failed to fire,feed or eject with any of my many reloads.I've killed 50-60 deer with it and having many other rifles,its still my go to rifle for woods hunting.biker
Old December 20, 2012, 01:00 PM   #82
willmc33

Llama Mini max. Couldnt get through a magazine with atleast 1 failure of some sort.

Smith & Wesson SD40VE. Gave it the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe a "break in" was needed but had over a 50% failure to feed rate.

Gladly parted with both.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:00 PM   #83
toppermost

Phoenix Arms HP22. I dont know if I was just doing something wrong but... I swear if recall correctly, once you chambered your first round you could only unload that dumb weapon by either firing all the rounds or individually ejecting each and every round by racking the slide. It would NOT let you eject the clip.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:21 AM   #84
Ghost1958

Worst 45 baby Glock. Stove pipe every shot. Called Glock spoke to a tech that told me to use it for a paper weight unless my wrist was made of steel. Bad design according to him. And thats a Glock tech!!. Anything short of a death grip with two hands that little gun considered itself limp wristed and stove piped. Sold it a week later.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:05 AM   #85
TAKtical

Wow ghost. Thats the biggest bunch of bs Ive ever heard. No glock rep, tech, or armorer told you to use a pistol as a paper weight. Obviously it was a 30 or 36 if it was a small 45. My 12 year old nephew has shot my 36 numerous times. He must have steel wrists...
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old December 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #86
Ghost1958

Take it as you wish. Truth being bought the gun shot it stove piped everytime. Called the FACTORY. Got a tech on the phone. Told me exactly what I posted word for word. NOT that all Glocks were that way but that the particular model i had and I cant remember the number now just a baby 45 Glock very small had something to do with the slide length vs caliber and unless it was held extremely tightly would do this every shot which it did.
He went as far as to say for a defense weapon he would not own one himself.
Just a side note, I dont like being called a liar. Im not here to post BS but to either learn or advise if I can if its a subject that I know what im talking about.
Merry Christmas

Last edited by Ghost1958; December 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:52 AM   #87
Viper225

Retired U.S. Military Remington Rand 1911. Shot Minute of 55 gallon Barrel at 25 Yards.
I probably should have cut it some slack. The old girl may have had a pick-up truck full of ammunition shot through it between 1943 and when I got it in the 1970's.

Second worse 1911 AMT HardBaller around 1977. Magazine write ups at the time called it a SS Colt National Match. Well my mileage did vary. I could not keep rear sight pins in it. Then the Two Piece Barrel came apart.

Third worse would be a commercial Browning Hi Power that I picked up in 1974 as my first Police side arm. It was very inaccurate, and would not feed unless the ammo had the profile of Ball. Traded it at the first Gun Show after I got it for a new S&W 28 Highway Patrolman. I have been a revolver man ever since. The 28 was a tack driver, and still is. A buddy of mine still has it.
The 28 would roll pop cans almost every shot at 50 yards with my then 23 year old eyes. I am sure you could not keep the Hi Power on the lid of a 55 gallon drum at 50 yards.

Bob
Old December 25, 2012, 12:43 PM   #88
oldone

Bet most of the problems in these guns is a damaged crown. With that, there is no telling where the bullet will go.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:11 PM   #89
KenW.

I once had a Rohm .44 magnum. Took a Mule deer buck at 25 yards. To look at it you'd think it was junk. But that thing would just shoot and shoot. Never let me down.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:01 PM   #90
microman

Quote:
Worst Gun You Ever Owned? Still Own.. ?
Hi Point 9mm..don't own it anymore..now its someone else's problem
Old January 2, 2013, 12:16 AM   #91
banditgriot

Ruger P85 early model was recalled and like to FF and FE.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:59 AM   #92
Mike-Mat

Traded my NAA Guardian 380 ACP pocket gun for a Ruger 10/22. As a gun for personal protection, I just never felt that comfortable with the Guardian. Shouldn't carry a gun you don't trust.

It was the only gun that I haven't been real happy with. Although I will say, it took some time for me to get warm and fuzzy with my Keltec PF9. But after a little factory work, I like it a lot.

Mike
Old January 2, 2013, 01:06 AM   #93
BerdanSS

2nd Gen Glock 22. JAM'O'MATIC with everything...randomly. The slide came forward after firing a round while a buddy was shooting it and unlocked from the frame and almost slid off the front. If glock only made one lemon...I must have got it. The dealer that sold it to me (also a buddy of mine) took a quick look at it and gave me full price i paid and then some towards any gun in the shop after not even a month of owning that horse pile. He even gave me two boxes of 40 S&W to watch me shoot because he couldn't believe a glock was malfunctioning like that. It FTF FTE and stove piped at least 60% of it. I got a Beretta 96G elite II and never looked back.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:43 AM   #94
Buffalo444

Hi point 40 I got for 40$. Was minute of ground at 10 feet. Traded it in for 150$. Lol

sent from the rust monster
Old January 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #95
Skans

Lorcin .380 someone gave to me.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #96
Tactical Jackalope

5 years ago. Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro

Complete...Garbage...
Old January 2, 2013, 03:38 PM   #97
PawPaw

The Ruby. Some say that it's a Spanish clone of the 1903 Hammerless, but they were made in big numbers by a variety of manufacturers for the French army during WW1.

My example lives in the gun locker, in .32 ACP. My Dad got it from an uncle, who carried it as a back-up pistol while he worked for the Revenue Service. I remember my uncle firing it on occasion, so I think I have a working copy. When Dad died, we found it in his sock drawer, and Momma passed it along to me.

Evidently, the Ruby is the basis of the old joke "Never fired, dropped once." It's a piece-of-crap old pistol. I really should oil it and see if it will still fire.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 2, 2013, 07:19 PM   #98
Stevie-Ray

AMT Govt. Absolutely gorgeous, and that's where the praise ends, though when it fired, it was fairly accurate. Junk. Like to have it back for a project now, though.

Worst I STILL own would be a CBC single shotgun. Never fired, though I understand it to be a shoulder-wrecker. 28 bucks when I bought it and it's now rumored to be worth about 60. Pretty good investment.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:48 PM   #99
Colorado Redneck

Remington 7400 in .270 Win. Would not hold zero between range trips. Used it once for deer hunting, and was lucky enough to run across a brain dead white tail 2 point. Missed from a good rest at 80 yards. Missed again. Deer ran a ways. I followed. Shot and missed. Repeat several times. Finally the deer was so damned used to me shooting it stood looking at me from 30 yards away and I got'im.

Later took my son to the range and we both worked on getting it sighted. Put it in the case and went back with the gun and the son a few days later. Point of impact was a foot high and to the left about 8 inches. It got traded the next day.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:03 PM   #100
Merad

Haven't had a true lemon yet. Closest would be my Marlin 60. It had weird issues with rounds getting jammed up as they fed into the chamber, so badly that the bullet would usually be bent 20-30 degrees out of line with the shell casing. Even when rounds did feed they would usually be "shaved" with a little crescent moon shaped piece of lead removed right at the back of the bullet.

A new feed ramp from Marlin didn't do jack, so I tinkered a bit with the dremel tool. After that (and shoot a couple thousand rounds through it) it doesn't jam anymore, but many rounds still get a light "shave" when they feed. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to hurt the accuracy that much.