The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
RoaringBull

CAS??

Alright, being something of a newbie to sport shooting (although I did buy a new 12 gauge and .50 cal bp in last 4 months), I want another way to spend time with my teenage son, so tell me about this cowboy action shooting. What is an estimate of initial investments and requirements, I know about the taking on of an alias and all of that. Thanks for the info!
Old April 5, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
JayC

Have you been to www.sassnet.com? They have a pretty active forum.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
countryboywithgun

Thats what i am wanting to really get into and then get the kids involved when they are old enough. I have only been to one match but from talking to the shooters you have to have 2 pistols 1873 reproductions 1 rifle/carbine and one coach gun i believe single or double from that era. I am working on getting all but it will take a while so i will go out and watch until i can shoot because it is very cool and fun looking i am hooked without even taking a shot. so from what i am finding on the cheap side you are looking at 1200 plus into much much more it just depends on what you can afford and want to spend. I can't afford a lot so i am looking at the less expensive pistols like uberti or taurus(with safety) and maybe a henry or puma and not sure about the shotgun yet. I have been checking out the used guns at the pawn shops and gun shops around town but would love to hear from anyone out there looking at upgrading what they have an selling the old to me????? From talking to the shooters last weekend they suggested a used gun anyway because the action is better making it more fun and less work on the thumbs

also looking for a good 1911 maybe taurus too??
Old April 6, 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
RoaringBull

I'm there with you about the financials! I just checked out a few sites of manufacturers and can't believe the prices! Pawn shops here I come!
Old April 6, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Hawg

Single action Schofields are legal too. Shotguns can be single or SXS, hammerless or hammered. Winchester 97's are legal but not the 93/97. Also the Winchester 1887 is legal. Repeaters can only be loaded with two rounds. Rifles have to be levers in a pistol cartridge. The SASS Wire is a good place to learn and ask questions but if you go there you might want to grow a thicker skin than most here have. Sometimes things get pretty heated over there.
Old April 6, 2008, 02:09 PM   #6
RoaringBull

I think that I will stick here for awhile and trust you guys until I get a little more knowledgeable. I have a pretty thick skin from the military, but the skin around my temper gets thin sometimes.
Old April 6, 2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Hawg

Another thing you should be aware of, there is a match fee which is cheaper if you join the club. If you want to shoot in regional or national matches you have to join SASS. Also it's not all shooting. You'll be asked to share jobs like picking up brass, watching the loading or unloading table, spotting, etc.
Old April 6, 2008, 03:51 PM   #8
tplumeri

just picked up a Rossi 1892 replica for 300 bucks. Quite a bit cheaper than the1892 winchester i just bought ($1700).
you can get started cheap, or the skies the limit.
i might have passed on the winchester if i saw the rossi first.
doesnt seem to be much price difference between Uberti and Ruger revolvers.
i shoot ruger but alot of folks prefer uberti.
agree, 1200 bucks will get you started.
Have Fun!!
tom
Old April 6, 2008, 04:01 PM   #9
Hawg

There's almost always used guns on the SASS classifieds. You can buy from there without joining SASS but you can't sell without a SASS number.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:30 PM   #10
byronw999

Hey RoaringBull...

That's a great way to get some time in with a teen!

You dont have to buy all the stuff at once... It costs a lot especially if ya buy new stuff... You already have a shotty and if you were to get say 1 pistol that would be plenty to get started with... CAS folks are mostly real friendly with plenty of tips, advise and the loan of a gun or 2 for new folks..Just bring a box or 2 of ammo for the calibur you like to shoot... Most of our bunch shoots 38/357 and .45 colt along with a few folks shootin BP pistols etc.. I shoot .357 myself in both pistol and rifle and will also be starting to use some BP pistols...

Eventually you'll need 2 pistols, 1 rifle and you already have the shotty..

Looks like yer fairly close to me... I belong to the Arlington Sportsmans CLub and our range is in Mansfield.. We shoot CAS on the 3rd Sunday each month.. Starts at 1:30 and usually winds up around 4... Cost is $5 to shoot or free if ya just wanna watch.. You dont have to be a member to shoot in the matches...

PM or email me if yer interested and I'll give ya directions to the range... Yer welcome to use my guns if you need them..

Quote:
Alright, being something of a newbie to sport shooting (although I did buy a new 12 gauge and .50 cal bp in last 4 months), I want another way to spend time with my teenage son, so tell me about this cowboy action shooting. What is an estimate of initial investments and requirements, I know about the taking on of an alias and all of that. Thanks for the info!
Old April 13, 2008, 05:12 PM   #11
RoaringBull

I may try and get out that way some time. My shotty is a 12 ga Remmy 870 Express pump. That won't work will it, for CAS?