The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2001, 09:10 PM   #1
Paha Sapa

Do any of you have any experience with red dot sights such as Tasco or the holo sight made by Bushnell used on trap guns? Are these even legal for trap?
Old March 21, 2001, 09:26 PM   #2
K80Geoff

Red Dot Sights

Don't know if they are legal or not, but they would probably get in the way. Shotgunning is a game of movement, the barrel must move to make the shot. The tasco sight , which I DO have on two pistols, is not very conducive to movement. The dot tends to jump around even when held steady. The viewing area is very small and as a shotgunner I do not think it would work.

Consider using one of the light pipes sold for shotguns, they do seem to help some people and if set up properly cannot be seen unless the gun is mounted properly.

The best shotgunners do not even use the beads, they rely on proper mounting. I know of one Master NSCA shooter who broke the bead off his barrel, and continued to shoot. He didn't discover the broken bead untill some time later and shot the gun for several weeks without it!

Geoff Ross
Old March 21, 2001, 09:57 PM   #3
PJR

Under ATA rules, an optical sight is not permitted unless you have a certified vision impairment.

I once mounted a Bushnell Holosite on a Beretta A390 and tried it at both skeet and trap. It was more like playing a video game than shooting a shotgun. There wasn't a dramatic increase in my trap or skeet scores. I found it more useful shooting skeet because it gave me a better idea of the leads on crossing shots.

It was an interesting experiment but not one that I've repeated since.
Old June 10, 2001, 08:14 AM   #4
dundee

I mounted a reddot sight on my Ithaca 20 ga. pump and was experimenting with shooting slugs. It works just fine.
My wife was trying a new O/U in informal hand thrown targets and wasn't hitting much. She tried the Ithaca and immediately hit almost everything. I tried it and it seems to work well. As a previous poster noted it helps pinning down just what the proper lead should be. For a new shooter I think it would be a great idea. Problems of stock fit, lifting the head, etc are largely overcome with this.

I watched a coach helping new women shooters (skeet) at the range yesterday and he had a clay on a stand and another stand with the top 1" painted orange like the clay. he put both of the stands out at the #8 station in the proper perspective of how much to lead the clay at each station. I was thinking that if he had a gun with a reddot mounted + this visual aid the women might have done much better.