The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 20, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
lawrence090469

EAA Witness 10mm

I have a full size steel, round top slide, wonder finnish 10mm Witness that does not feed reliably. I bought it in May of 2011 and have taken it to the range twice. I have two black follower Mec Gar mags for it. First trip I shot American Eagle FMJ, and it jammed 3-4 times out of 100 rounds. Second trip shooting brass jacket Armscor ammo it jammed at least once a magazine. I recovered a round I cleared from a jam that had a sharp stright score across the nose of the bullet, about 2mm from the edge. I assumed it had struck the base of the feed ramp. I have read much about recoil springs, feed lips, followers, baseplates, mag springs, and I didn't know what to make of it. I locked the slide back and inserted a loaded magazine. I don't see how the bullet could be striking the base of the feed ramp. The magazine sits too high. I did notice by hand cycling the action that the top round in the magazine gets pushed forward about one quarter inch on each cycle. Could this cause the misfeeds? Are stiffer magazine springs the remedy?
Old August 21, 2012, 08:15 AM   #2
CowTowner

Nope, the magazines are the issue. At least they were for mine.
I would invest in one of the NEW Mec-Gar made Tanfoglio magazines with the red follower. You can find them at http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/magazines.html Scroll down, they're below the fancy Henning parts.

I had been fighting FTF issues with my 10mm Auto Wonder Finish Witness for 3 years until these were released. I no longer have any feeding issues at all.
Others have tested them and found the same results.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 21, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3
lawrence090469

Thanks for the link. I will pick one up and test it.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
CowTowner

I wish you the same success I have.
Now if I could just find someone interested in the 5 old magazines I have........
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
lawrence090469

I see on EAA's website they sell red followers for $5. Is the entire mag the problem or just the follower? Also, on close inspection I believe there is a crack developing near the ejection port. I will probably end up replacing the round WF slide with a blue block slide. Hopefully under warranty. I registered the gun with EAA online, but I can't find the sale receipt. I moved into a new house a month after buying it, such a pain in the ass. I have contacted the seller asking for a copy of the 4473. Hope for help there.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
CowTowner

The entire magazine is the issue. Simply replacing the follower will not resolve anything that I am aware of.
As to the crack in your slide, welcome to an unwanted club.
Mine cracked at the dust cover of the slide. It was replaced under warranty with a "SuperSight" slide.
Call EAA and be patient. Their customer service is not known to be the best by any means, but they will repair the gun if you are the registered (with them) owner under warranty.