The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 1, 2011, 09:46 AM   #26
spacecoast

When I practice point shooting (two handed), I bring the gun up to my chest, not to eye level. For me, the gun tends to shoot higher than where I first think it's aimed, particularly so with revolvers. (Hence the need to practice)

One handed, I will shoot "from the hip" at very close range targets (6 feet or less). Any further away than that and I will be very likely using both hands.
Old December 1, 2011, 09:55 AM   #27
RedBowTies88

This may sound absolutly silly, but head on over to your local arcade with $10 in quarters in play whatever big "time crysis" type shooting game they have.

It really will help quite a bit...not to mention its fun
Old December 26, 2011, 02:31 AM   #28
AdamSean

Umm...look at your target. Don't put the gun right in front of your eyes.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:31 PM   #29
sigcurious

thanks for all the replies and input. Being the holiday season I haven't had much time to get to the range, but I did try the tape as initially suggested and that helped a bit, haven't tried some of the other suggestions yet and I haven't seen if doing the tape thing has helped yet once it's taken off, but hopefully next week I'll be back to my regular range schedule and get more opportunity to work on it.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:33 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

Bring your pistol up to shoulder height or thereabouts, make it comfortable. Look two inches below your target. Fire your pistol. That should do it.
Old December 26, 2011, 10:17 PM   #31
ltc444

Start at the 5 yd line. Shoot from the hip watch the bullet strike the target and walk the bulletts into the X ring.

If you have a 38spl us a light, 148grain wad 2.7 grains of Bullseye, target load. Focus on the X ring. do not concusly shift the pistol. Your subconcus will move the bullet strike.

Once you become proficient with this tech. Move back to the ten yard line and start using your normal grip and stance. Just focus on the target. I like to use a timed fire rythmn.

Eventually you will get back to 20 or 25 yards. This will depend on you. My limit for point shooting is 20 yards. When I first started point shooting, I did not realize I was using the tech until after I had completed my best qualification ever.
Old December 26, 2011, 10:46 PM   #32
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I can usually be right on target with point shooting. Granted, it sometimes takes me a couple shots before it's adjusted right.