The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2005, 05:33 PM   #1
BigSlick

primer pressure sign on unloaded case

Hi guys,

I was loading for the 45 ACP last night and screwed up a case after it was primed. I had removed the shell plate pin on the 550 to double check charge weight and forgot to put it back in before I continued.

Upon lowering the ram I hosed up the case mouth in station 2 (powder die and bell). I realized the mistake, set the case aside, replaced the pin and kept going.

I culled the case (of course) and decided to deprime it by dropping the hammer on it (safe direction, eye and ear protection in place). The round fit the chamber pretty tight due to the case mouth being munged up, but it did allow the slide to go into full battery.

I dropped the hammer, the primer popped and the round ejected (manually of course) OK. I usually crush any case that I toss out and was about to do so when I noticed the primer was deeply pierced and had backed out of the pocket about 1/32".

Was this a result of a loose primer pocket ? The fact that the cartridge wasn't loaded and the case wasn't driven back against the breech or what ?

I almost dismissed it, but thought I would ask if any of you have seen the same thing. I have loaded many thousands of rounds and have on rare occasions popped a primer like this but don't remember ever seeing one backout like that.

If the case had been loaded and fired, I would interpret this as an indicator of excessive pressure, but this was just a primer - no powder or bullet.

The gun was a 1911 gov't model

Any ideas ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Old March 8, 2005, 06:42 PM   #2
CaptainRazor

It's really nothing to worry about.
Primers sometimes back out like that when there isn't a charge in the case.
I used to shoot indoors with plastic bullets that are propelled by primers only.
The thing with those things was, you had to enlarge the flash hole to prevent primer backout.

To my understanding, the reason your primer backed out is because there was insufficient pressure of the case against the breechface.

Theres no cause for alarm, unless you start seeing this with loaded cases.
Old March 9, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
G56

I've had the exact same thing happen, nothing to worry about.

I have also played with those plastic cases and bullets, very frustrating in a revolver, the primers back out and bind up the cylinder. Those plastic bullets were more dangerous than most people thought, I put an old towel in the bottom of an old metal trash can to catch the plastic bullets, I didn't have any completely penetrate the bottom of that trash can, but it did ruin the trash can, there were a number of partial penetrations of the metal bottom, yes...there were holes in it! I'm sure those things would penetrate skin at 10 ft or so!
Old March 9, 2005, 02:00 AM   #4
CaptainRazor

Yeah, the one's I used where for 45 auto, you had to use the regular brass cases with them.
I used to shoot them at a cardboard box with a piece of plywood in the back.
They work OK I guess, but the novelty of it quickly wore off, and the primers backing out became more of a pain in the neck than it was worth.
(Yes, we are talking definate flesh wounds within 10 feet or so.)

Do they still make those things? The ones I had where made by speer, I haven't seen any of them for a long time.
Old March 9, 2005, 03:06 PM   #5
G56

Quote:
They work OK I guess, but the novelty of it quickly wore off, and the primers backing out became more of a pain in the neck than it was worth.
That's my experience exactly!

Would you believe they still make those things?
Speer Plastic Training Components