The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Death of the 5.7 X 28 ???

I know I used to buy this at Cabela's... current panic not withstanding, they no longer have a place for it on their shelves... I asked customer service, & the gal I talked to said she couldn't find a listing on the computer??? wondering if some of us with guns are going to have high priced "hammers" if any kind of ban goes through, or if you guys think FN will find some way to offer ammo for sale down the road, after all the panic buying ends ??? if they ban internet sales, it could make getting ammo pretty tough locally, if the LGS's aren't stocking it anymore...

I can always reload, but reloading this caliber is tough & time consuming, & case life is very short... had heard Starline was going to offer cases, but was on their web site yesterday, & I could find no mention ???

thoughts ???
Old January 15, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
CurlyQ.Howard

Well, can those who have 5.7 ammo sell it legally?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

what would be the difference in the ammo between that & .223???
Old January 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #4
CurlyQ.Howard

None that I know of, so you're saying that selling it would be legal (this might seem strange to ask, but with "Executive Orders" supplanting legislation, I've got to ask questions)?
Old January 15, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
hulley

I sold my Five-seveN recently for the very reason that I dont want to re-load it and ammo has been near non-existant for the last couple of months. I did sell it for a pretty penny so people are wanting this gun, but unfortunately not me. That was my last poly gun and I only buy Sigs and revolvers now, subject to change of course.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
thoughts ???
That still leaves about 100,000 other places to buy ammo from. I'm not worried yet.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
HKFan9

We still have the ammo where I work? My co-worker has a PS90 and a FiveseveN and he hasn't been worried. He picked up PS90 50 round mags for $10 a piece at Cabelas a few months back.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Ammunition and guns for the cartridge are still in production. In fact, it seems to have seen an uptick in interest over the last year or so.

Right now, ammo is scarce all around. Ammunition companies are doing triage. .223, 9mm, .40 S&W and the big-demand cartridges are going to be given priority in production for the near future. This may result in a temporary shortage for the 5.7x28.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:05 PM   #9
BarryLee

Quote:
Right now, ammo is scarce all around. Ammunition companies are doing triage. .223, 9mm, .40 S&W and the big-demand cartridges are going to be given priority in production for the near future. This may result in a temporary shortage for the 5.7x28.
Yes, this makes perfect sense and those with the less mainstream calibers may be in trouble for awhile. I guess I may hold off on getting that .38 Super.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 16, 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
flotter390

Guys, I'm glad I reload all my ammo and have for years. But I always have bought ammo on sale!!

Fred