The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 28, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
zxcvbob

Cabela's heavy duty "Last Chance" belt

Will it make a decent gun belt? Or is it too thick (or too saggy, or...) I just applied for my carry license, and I don't even have a holster yet, but I've read that it all really starts with the belt.
Old December 28, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
BGutzman

Let me do you a huge favor. There are lots of gun belts made by all sort of companies and people and some are excellent and most are trash.

For me however there is only one guy that I swear by and IMHO is worth every cent as his belts are beyond superior.

The Beltman at http://www.thebeltman.net/

Just be 100% sure you follow the measurement instruction... You will thank me later....
Old December 28, 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
riggins_83

I've not tried that belt honestly. It looks pretty similar to the Galco belt I use.... http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp...&CatalogID=254

Depends on the firearm but I suspect it would be fine
Old December 28, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I've seen Beltman mentioned before and I'm sure I'll end up there eventually. But meanwhile I have this $75 Cabela's gift certificate that expires in a couple of days...
Old December 28, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

If this is what you are talking about, http://www.cabelas.com/mens-belts-su...y-belt-1.shtml, find something else to buy with your gift card. It should hold your pants up, but I wouldn't count on it supporting a gun.

As mentioned above, thebeltman.net is worth every penny. A good CCW rig starts with the belt so if you plan on carrying, go ahead and start with a good belt. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 28, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old December 28, 2010, 03:34 PM   #6
AK103K

I would take the Last Chance shown in the link over any of the leather belts. Personally, I prefer and use the "Wilderness" versions, but the one shown looks to be well made too. The price is also right, about half that of a Wilderness belt.

Biggest advantage is, they are infinite adjustable through the size range, and you dont have to "hit a hole" to get a proper fit, regardless of changes in clothing, weight, or type of holster.

Not sure if Cabelas offers different with or stiffness versions, but that may be another reason the Wilderness versions are a little more.

You may want to check them out also.....

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/

Only real downside is, they may "look" like a gun belt to those who are looking, but then again, so do many of the leather gun specific belts.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Gary L. Griffiths

The "Last Chance" belt should do you just fine. I have a similar "Instructor" belt that is plenty heavy enough for my Taurus PT-145 and any similar heavy gun I would wish to carry. Frankly, I think paying ~ $80.00 for a custom gun belt is a total rip-off, and I know because, among other things, I make belts and holsters.

One thing with the Last Chance belt -- make sure you know how the buckle works!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old December 29, 2010, 06:20 AM   #8
JohnO

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

Try these people. By far the best gun belts for the money out there.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Cowboy_mo

quote: $80.00 for a custom gun belt is a total rip-off, and I know because, among ot

After reading Gary's post and credentials, I went to the other 2 belt websites shown in this post.

After looking at their belts and thinking about what Gary said, I agree with him.

Find a good Western store in your area or a good farm supply store that also handles "western" clothing. Take a close look at the belts they have available. You should find belts very similar to what is shown on the websites (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch wide, good heavy leather, double layer stitched, etc.) for a lot less than the 50-80 quoted by these guys.

What the websites describe as good quality gunbelts are the same type of belts farmers, ranchers, and western afficionados have been wearing for years.

I knew my 'western belts' that I have had and worn for hears do a great job of securing my ccw holsters. LOL, I just never knew that my cowboy belts were gunbelts...
Old January 1, 2011, 04:05 PM   #10
bossman

Have one on the way, let you know after it arrives. I'm worried about lenght ,kind of weird sizing but Cabela's usally run long. Hope I can figure out the buckle.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
zxcvbob

I just ordered one tonight. $19.99 (it was cheaper in the catalog than the online price) even if I can't use it for a gun belt it ought to hold my pants up -- if I can figure out the buckle.
Old January 1, 2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Stiofan

If you want a durable leather belt, this one from Cabelas is the belt to buy.

I bought a brown one and black one 3 years ago, wear one or the other each day and they both look like new. They are stiff because they are double thick, but they will hold any gun, won't roll on you and will hold up. Plus it looks like they are on sale now.

I used to spend $80-100 on my gun belts, these are just as good in my opinion.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:00 PM   #13
SQUAREKNOT

+1 on the Beltman*****

I never knew what a belt was until I got mine a couple weeks ago. I got no butt and always wore suspenders-no more. My pants stay up even when I carry. Spend the money and be happy with the best.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:09 PM   #14
kayak45

Good belts for everybody

Have to agree with prior post. I've been wearing cowboy belts in sand lizard, bull, horsehide, etc. for 40 years.

Go to a western store or saddlery and get the same good belts for half.

PS: I do own two beltman brown stiff, Earnie hill speed leather tan, bianchi black and others only to match color or style to the holster.
Old January 15, 2011, 12:33 PM   #15
bossman

I've been useing the Last Chance HD for about a week now and I'm happy with it. Buckle wasn't hard to figure out and holds fine. I've been wanting to try this style belt but not wanting to pay the high prices for the Wilderness or 511.

The HD version is plenty stiff and has velcro to help hold extra lenght in place. I think if you're wanting to try this type of belt this is a good priced belt to start with.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 15, 2011, 12:47 PM   #16
zxcvbob

The Cabela's belt that is on sale right now (904856) are cut long. I had to send mine back and order the next smaller size because the buckle ended up 2 inches into the velcro. (the XL was way too big, now watch the L be too small)
Old January 15, 2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Yankee Bill

+1 on the beltman. But I've also used a Galco and it was a decent belt.

YB