The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 15, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
saint

Scope Mounts for a Savage MKII

I recently purchased a Leupold VXIII 1.75X6-32 for my Savage MKII GL .22 rimfire rifle. I am trying to find which scope mount I can use for this combination. I went on Leupold's website but my gun doesn't show up. I emailed their cutomer service but they were also no help. I am trying to stay away from weaver if at all possible. I tried one of Leupolds medium height dovetail mounts but it seems that the curvature of the barrel does not allow me to use these mounts. I also tried Burris online but again my gun does not show up to try and match a mount.

Is there anywhere esle online I can look to try and find a mount for this combination, or does anyone out there know which mount I might be able to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen
Old October 15, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
kart racer

check with bkl.
Old October 17, 2007, 02:15 AM   #3
tINY

The bases are cut too narrow to use the Burris Z-rings. The Weaver grand-slam (split ring, not base and strap) rings are probably fine. That, or a set of Warne rings with the vertical split.

-tINY

Old October 17, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Cowart

I note that some, but not all, of the MK IIs are sold with a set of scope bases installed. Does your rifle have 4 holes drilled & tapped in the top of the receiver? If so, you should be able to order a set of those bases. The number there is (413)568-7001.
Old October 17, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5
saint

Cowart, my MKII is not drilled and tapped for a scope. It only has the 3/8 dovetail groove for scope mounting. The issue I am having is that most of the mounts do not accept the higher arch that the gun has to fit the mounts into the dovetail.
Old October 18, 2007, 04:55 PM   #6
tINY

Can you post a picture? Sounds like a file and some careful hand-work will get the thing to fit....

-tINY

Old October 18, 2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Holling

I bought some 1" rings at Walmart. Work's great.