The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 1999, 12:03 AM   #1
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Just received a modified Remington 870 and I noticed something where I'd like to gather some expert opinions:

If you run your finger just inside the muzzle, you can actually feel a very small "prong" where the front sight comes through the barrel.

It is very slight, but I can feel it nonetheless.

Gunsmiths often caution about shooting a firearm with even too much oil, so I figured this question is worth posting!

This shotgun has not been fired. Should I send it back? Will initial wear from the first couple of shots smooth it out?

Thanks so much,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old July 1, 1999, 02:14 AM   #2
blades67

My 1300 Defender has a similar "nub" that can be felt under the bead sight. So long as a protrusion doesn't intrude into the bore I think it is safe to shoot. However, if you're not sure, take it to a local gunsmith or two and get a professional opinion.
BTW, the cautions against too much oil are twofold; 1)the oil can, and will, collect every bit of dust or grit and cause the action and/or magazine to jam, or; 2)the oil can catch fire. Although this is rare, I have seen it happen.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old July 1, 1999, 12:32 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It won't hurt anything or affect the pattern. It might cause a little lead buildup behind it. If it bothers you, you or your gunsmith can remove the sight, polish a little off the end and replace it.

Jim