The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2001, 10:27 PM   #1
mlk18

Fiber-Optic (?) Shotgun Sights

I have a plain 18.5 barrel for my Maverick 88 and need to install some kind of sight system without breaking the bank. I am not sure if I am capable of installing a bead that requires drilling and tapping. I see alot of places are making a fiber-optic sight that just snaps on (plus I am sure a little loc-tite) to a plain barrel. Any thoughts or experiences with these, or other suggestions, would be appreciated. Thanks.

mlk18
Old October 8, 2001, 06:28 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It would help if you'd tell us what the mission is for that shotgun,mlk18.

It has a bead, correct?

I've no shotguns presently equipped with fiber optics, but IMO they can help in low light crises and when hunting deer. Wingshooting's different, there one has to concentrate on the target, not the sight(s).

For a quick test, ask any bowhunters you may know if they have an old fiber optic sight pin in their junk box. If so, mount it to your bbl with tape and try it.

Another approach would be to paint up your bead with a bright colored paint. Testor's enamel in Bright Yellow does a good job, and those little bottles available in hobby stores only cost a buck or two.
Old October 8, 2001, 07:58 AM   #3
scouter27

Quote:
ask any bowhunters you may know if they have an old fiber optic sight pin in their junk box
That'll only work if they still use bows with training wheels
Old October 8, 2001, 04:46 PM   #4
Guyon

No experience with fiber optics on a plain barrel, but I do have a set of Tru-Glo "Magnum Gobble Dots" on the vent rib of my turkey shotgun. They present a very nice sight picture for stationary shots--though I wouldn't recommend them for wingshooting. These were a little more expensive than another set I saw (forget the brand name), but the fiber optic rods glowed more brightly on the Tru-Glos. William's Firesights is supposed to make a very nice set of fiber optic sights. Don't know if they make anything for plain barrels.
Old October 8, 2001, 05:54 PM   #5
maxwayne

I have Tru-Glo magnetics on my 1100 Special Field. They fit very tightly and work very well.
Old October 8, 2001, 06:36 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Scouter, my two bows here are both sans wheels, one's a recurve, t'other's a Hill style LB.
Old October 9, 2001, 11:02 AM   #7
mlk18

I had a slugster barrel cut down to 18.5", so there is no sights of any kind on it (not even a bead). It will be used for police work, and will be living in my squad car. I already have an ATI pistol grip shoulder stock and side saddle for holding extra rounds, what I don't have is a sighting system or a local gunsmith who could put one on. I was thinking about installing a snap on fiber optic sight, ala the picture below, with some loc-tite or adhesive.

mlk18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dot_02.jpg (78.1 KB, 80 views)
Old October 9, 2001, 01:14 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That should work, but I'm not an authority on sight mounts. Try Brownell's, if there's one like this out there, they'll know about it.

And, good luck to you and your new cruiser gun.