The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
jcsturgeon

Glock 22

I just purchased a new Glock 22 and while I like it a lot, I'm always looking for ways to make my guns better. I've heard a lot of talk about putting a NY-1 spring in and a 3.5 pound trigger. Anyone done this? Is it a worthwhile mod?
Old March 19, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Gen3Glock22

I left mine alone, it's got a great trigger now. You never said what generation yours is. The gen 4 has a added bump on the trigger bar that some say add to slighty heavier pull, some grind it off.
Old March 19, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
jcsturgeon

Mine's a gen 3. I had a gen 3 Glock 17 that I liked okay, but it was redundant with my Beretta 92FS also being a full sized 9mm. I just wonder if these alterations could help make the Glock smoother.
Old March 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
KenL

I have a Gen 3 G22. I did this http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/ and installed a factory Glock - (minus) connector. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it is noticably smoother and lighter than it was with the stock connector. Very easy mod, I recommend it.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
batmann

I have left the trigger alone, but I did add a Streamlight TLR-3 weapon light to mine. I am not much for messing around with triggers on any of my guns.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
frigate88

I tricked mine out for the hell of it to have one tacticool gun. I have 3 of them so I had to have fun with one of them. I put the 3.5lb wolf trigger, extended slide release, extended mag release, stream light, trijicon night sights, hogue grip, and a threaded barrel with a brake. The one thing I did do to all of them is a trigger job and night sights with the hogue grip. The grip feels better to me than the plain polymer frame. The trigger is noticeably smoother though with the 3.5lb connector.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****
Old March 20, 2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

I've used a 3.5 and NY1 before. It certainly gives you a more constant trigger pull and a good reset, but IMO Glocks have a good reset anyway. Lately I've either been running a stock 3.5lb connector and stock set up or just a straight factory set up (with a polishing of course). I always go back and forth on what I think I like ...

On my gauge with Gen3 guns, the NY1 and 3.5 would come in around 6.5lbs. The stock set up with polish around 5.5-6.0lbs. 3.5lb with polish around 4.5-5lbs.

For me, any of those combinations is fine for any kind of use but there are plenty of threads on here filled with people arguing about that. Ultimately, you have to decide that yourself.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

Quote:
The gen 4 has a added bump on the trigger bar that some say add to slighty heavier pull, some grind it off.
That bump isn't what causes it. The slightly heavier pull on the gen4 is due to a redesigned trigger housing which changes the angle of the disconnector by about 5 degrees, this making it just a little sharper, but also making it a little more 'crisp' I suppose.

My preferred Glock trigger is the Ghost Rocket kit with Wolff 6lb trigger spring and Lightning Strike polished titanium firing pin block with spring. This combination will give you the best bang for the buck and I've tried dozens of combinations on both 3rd and 4th gen glocks. This is the set up that I recommend and have done for several friends who all feel the same way. The Ghost rocket kit will come with both the trigger spring and firing pin spring. Most times I don't actually use the firing pin spring as it's just a little bit lighter than I'd prefer, it can make the trigger reset a little less defined.

Rocket + trigger spring + lightning strike block w/ spring = win. I've got this set up in both my Gen 3 G17 OD and Gen4 G21. G17 has around 3k rounds through it and G21 has about 900.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
triumph666

i have the lone wolf 3.5lb disconnector and i love it...gun breaks smooth and clean with no gun twitch when trigger goes off.....great cheap addition.....as for spring i added a +1lb stainless guide rod setup which i like a lot
Old March 20, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Gen3Glock22

I heard about the angle too but the person I was told this by switched out his trigger bar from his gen3 to his gen4 and swore that was the problem so he ground off the bump. Not my experience just one theory on the issue I was told worked.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:54 AM   #11
C0untZer0

Uncle Malice did you do the Spaulding cut on your Ghost Rocket ?
Old March 21, 2012, 02:00 AM   #12
comn-cents

Left mine alone. Shoots just fine.
Old March 21, 2012, 05:59 AM   #13
Uncle Malice

Count,

I have done the Spalding cut to some and not to others. I don't really notice much of a difference at all. It's a great disconnector either way.
Old March 21, 2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Mrgunsngear

FWIW, on my Gen4 G34, the Spaulding cut wouldn't work. It would fire but wouldn't reset. I actually sent a video of it to the guys at Ghost showing it with the orange plate as I worked the trigger of the gun. They said it was 'not uncommon' for certain guns not to work with the Spaulding cut. I had to round it off for it to work in that gun. That said, it works fine on one of my G17s and G35s....
Old March 21, 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
TMD

My G35 has the factory 3.5 connector. Along with that I added a 6lb trigger spring, a 4lb striker spring, radiused the firing pin saftey, and a good polish job. The reset is a little soft but it breaks cleanly at around 2.5lbs.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #16
C0untZer0

Does the firing pin safety make that much of a difference?

I'll tell you why I'm asking.

I had a G34 with a Sotelo trigger kit in it, and it had a replacement FP safety.

I purchased a stock 17L and even though I worked on proper grip, slow slow slow trigger squeeze, and all that... I could not get good follow-through. When the trigger broke, or a micro-second after, my front sight would twitch to the right.

I didn't have this problem with the light trigger on my G34. But I kept working on it, I even started using GripMasters to strengthen my trigger finger. But the problem persisted. I finally got sick of it, put the 17L slide on my G34 and swapped the stiker assembly. Problem solved - I get rock solid follow through now when I'm dry-firing. But last week I noticed that I had not swapped out the firing pin safety.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Uncle Malice

Quote:
For me, it makes all the difference in the world. The replacement disconnector can give you a lighter pull weight, but you still get that chunky, stagy feeling.

With the smoothed firing pin block, the ramp just smoothly guides over it and I was really surprised how much of a difference it made.

Here is the Lightning Strike Block.

I have also purchased the Lightning Strike aluminum trigger that runs $100. I don't feel that part is worth it. It does make a little difference, but not nearly enough to justify the price. The block makes a much more significant change.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:29 AM   #18
TMD

Quote:
Can't say it makes the trigger pull any lighter but it makes it smoother.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:32 AM   #19
Crow Hunter

Before modifying any gun, I would make sure that I was shooting to the capability of the gun.

In other words, is the gun holding you back?

Most people, myself included, don't shoot well enough that a gun holds them back.

If your form, follow through, etc. are so good that the only thing that is slowing you down/throwing shot groups is the trigger of the gun, I would definitely change it.

Most people are not. Particularly people who are new to a platform.

Of course YMMV.

* As a Certified Glock armorer I am not allowed to use or condone the use of non-OEM parts.

Good luck.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:25 AM   #20
tim s

A lot of improvement can be made at zero cost by pulling out and polishing the transfer bar, striker mechanism, striker.
It takes about 15 minutes.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
C0untZer0

Quote:
... shooting to the capability of the gun. In other words, is the gun holding you back?
I agree with this and in my case I had a G34 that I had virtually motionless follow-through and I had a stock 17L that was jerking to the right.

I was new to the platform and people kept saying "you have to get used to the Glock trigger, practice practice practice, dry-fire, dry-fire, dry-fire, yada yada yada"

So I practiced and practiced. I was doing 150 dry-fire exercises every day. I worked out with GripMasters and Captains of Crush grippers to strengthen my trigger finger and grip. I actually moved up 3 levels of Gripmaster and 2 levels of Captains of Crush.

There was no improvement in my front sight twitching to the right. I'd get out my G34 and dry fire with no problem.

I finally just put the 17L slide on my G34, declared victory and moved on.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #22
C0untZer0

Really the whole reason I got a Glock was to have fun modifying it. And if you look at the Glock forums - that has to be the appeal to at least 50% of the people out there. From doing home made stipling jobs and duracoating them, to dropping in after-market barrels with compensators on them, to creating new guns - I think that is a huge part of the appeal.

You can customize or personalize your Glock, and you can do it yourself, and tell people you did it all yourself and show people your "work".

I have stuff on order and when I get it I'm gonna take pictures and post them on this forum, that's part of the fun too.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Crow Hunter

Quote:
There was no improvement in my front sight twitching to the right. I'd get out my G34 and dry fire with no problem.
Exactly what I was talking about.

When you know beyond a doubt that your gun is impeding your performance, then make changes.

To my view that is really hard to do on a new gun.

Good luck.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #24
Will Beararms

I have a Gen4 22 that came with the best trigger I have ever used on a Glock. I am not touching a thing on it. I would not modify any weapon until I have at least 1000 rounds downrange. I stick with good makes and sometimes, they smooth out on their own.
Old March 22, 2012, 02:06 PM   #25
Tennessee Jed

I did this modification. At first I loved it. Then I realized I wasn't shooting it as well as with the stock trigger. I went back to the stock trigger. The more changes I make to my Glocks, the more I learn to leave well enough alone.