The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 11, 2012, 01:51 AM   #1
jimpeel

NY: Former Marine arrested for having a handgun in NYC

This guy goes to NYC carrying $15,000 worth of gold and takes his handgun with him. He has a valid carry permit in his home state of IN.

He went on a website and checked for reciprocation and the article shows the site. The site showed very clearly that reciprocation between IN and NY exists.

Unfortunately, that reciprocation was wrongly listed on the website or the reciprocation does not extend to NYC.

He went to the Empire State Building and asked the sales person where he could secure his firearm. The person directed him to security where he repeated the query. Bada bing, bada boom, he finds himself under arrest.

He appeared on a Fox show with his lawyer end everyone there seemed reasonable with the exception of the young lady former prosecutor who doesn't seem to realize that the laws are not written for this type of person nor this type of prosecution.

He faces a maximum of fifteen years in jail with a mandatory two and one-half year minimum.

Don't believe what you read on a website. Confirm the info through face-to-face channels or at least get more than one opinion from several websites.

Let this be a lesson to everyone who might be considering a trip to Michael Bloomberg's NYC. DON'T!

VIDEO LINK

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 11, 2012, 07:02 AM   #2
icedog88

Sometimes these people should recognize the spirit of the law as well as the way it was written. Travesty!
Old January 11, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
thallub

i don't know what site indicated that reciprocity exists between IN and NY. NY has no reciprocity with any other state.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
Old January 11, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Musketeer

All the way back to www.packing.org (RIP) NY showed ONE WAY reciprocity with IN. IN honors NY but not the other way around. Always been that way and if I were going to make the trip I would double check.

NYC does not even honor permits from the rest of NY State. State law specifically exempts NYC from the permit process applying to the rest of the state (typical Albany corruption).

NY laws suck. The lack of reciprocity sucks. The person with the CCW needs to confirm for themselves the law where they are going. "I read it on some site" isn't going to cut the mustard unless you are discussing UFO and Sasquatch encounters.

ATTENTION ALL PACKERS!!!!!!!

DO NOT BRING GUNS INTO NYC!!!! That rule applies to 99+% of you. Those here who can carry there already know they can because they have a NYC Permit or are LEO. NOBODY ELSE IS ALLOWED!!!

I am constantly amazed how many people mess up with that simple rule.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 11, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer
All the way back to www.packing.org (RIP) NY showed ONE WAY reciprocity with IN. IN honors NY but not the other way around. Always been that way and if I were going to make the trip I would double check.
There is no such thing as "one-way reciprocity." Reciprocity means 'I honor yours and you honor mine." That IN recognizes NY permits is not reciprocity, it is unilateral "recognition."
Old January 11, 2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Gary Slider

It was my site www.handgunlaw.us that they showed. The site is correct.
The listing shown is titled:

States That Honor the Listed State at Left Permit/License

NY Is the listed state at the left: Out from it there is listed the states that honor the NY permit/license: AK*, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, NC, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT*, WI, All these states will honor the NY permit/license. This listing is first as the first question everyone ask is: Who Honors my permit.

The list shown is well defined and states that the states out from the listed state honor that states permit/license. The next page down lists states and the permit/licenses they honor. Out from NY it states Does not honor any other state permits.

He just didn't read those 9 words at the top of the page. He just look at the list and saw NY and IN on the same line an Assumed.

In the interview he stated he looked at the site and looked at NY Law. He never went to the state page at www.handgunlaw.us. The first section states that NY does not honor any other state permit/licenses.

He stated he looked it up on his phone.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old January 11, 2012, 04:07 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Let this be a lesson to everyone who might be considering a trip to Michael Bloomberg's NYC. DON'T!
Too bad - you'll miss the opportunity to acquire some nice culture and education

Quote:
NYC sucks anyways. No one should go there to begin with.

Disclaimer: I feel this way about any place that reserves carry rights for the rich, wealthy, and LEO community only.
Gee, sounds like you have never been there, and the wealth envy is somewhat uncalled for and childish, don't you think?

Neither of these comments has anything to do with the thread so maybe you should edit them out of your posts.

If you limit your exposure to all of life's experiences to only those places where you can carry gun, I feel sorry for you - you're missing out on some great events, experiences, and happening.........
Old January 11, 2012, 04:25 PM   #8
3kgt2nv

I live in upstate Ny and even getting close to nyc meaning lower westchester county is enough that the cops will hassle you if you have a handgun on you. in NYC the right to carry is severely limited but they do have premise and shooting permits.

the rest of the state has full carry permits. even on the back of the permit it warns about being not valid in nyc
Old January 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #9
NJgunowner

Do I agree with NY and NJ gun laws? No

Do I think the guy who was arrested meant any harm? No

Do I think he screwed up big and is going to pay for it? YES

It's been stated many times before, ignorance of the law is not protection from the law. He should have done his homework better.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Quote:
It's been stated many times before, ignorance of the law is not protection from the law. He should have done his homework better.
While that truism has been around a long time, I tend to think ignorance and intent should have an effect on sentencing.
The law was broken, but in doing so no person or property was harmed. Further the guy actually handed in his weapon, it actively wasn't seized by police.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Brit

NYC Carry

I do carry in NYC, a City Stick.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:14 PM   #12
BGutzman

Ignorance by New York City of the Constitution of the United States is a much bigger crime in my book as its eternal mockery it makes of the court and court orders....

Of course I live in the fantasy land where the constitution actually means what the founding fathers put on the paper.....
Old January 12, 2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Musketeer

[QUOTE]
Quote:
NYC sucks anyways. No one should go there to begin with.

Disclaimer: I feel this way about any place that reserves carry rights for the rich, wealthy, and LEO community only.[\QUOTE]
Gee, sounds like you have never been there, and the wealth envy is somewhat uncalled for and childish, don't you think?
I live in NY and have called out more than one poster for blanket statements about NY which made judgments about all it's residents. That said, I do not see wealth envy.

The NYPD does have a history of handing out carry permits to the rich and powerful in NYC while telling the average citizen to urinate up a rope. Howard Stern and Donald Trump are two examples of NYC permit holders.

Being displeased with a city government which shows such favoritism for the rich is not wealth envy.

Old January 12, 2012, 08:15 AM   #14
thallub

Quote:
The NYPD does have a history of handing out carry permits to the rich and powerful in NYC while telling the average citizen to urinate up a rope. Howard Stern and Donald Trump are two examples of NYC permit holders.

Being displeased with a city government which shows such favoritism for the rich is not wealth envy.
+1
It's all about fame and power.
Old January 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #15
MLeake

Musketeer, I agree. The accusation of wealth envy was unmerited, as the charge against the NYC permit system was accurate.

I also tend to boycott such places, on the same principles - but I like NYC, and Boston, and San Francisco, and I keep hoping the residents there who have a clue will fix their nanny state problem...
Old January 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

If one posts a comment denouncing an area as a blanket statement ignoring the good people who live there and some who fight for the RKBA, you do not contribute to TFL.

GEM
Old January 12, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Back on August 20th, 2010, we changed the Forum Rules. Several of the rules specific for this forum (L&CR) were adopted by the moderators and administrators of TFL and made to apply to the entire board.

At that time, I edited out those (now) duplicate rules from the Read Me First! post, that described what this particular forum was about and the rules that everyone who posts in this section was to abide by.

A casualty of that sloppy editing was that I inadvertently deleted the prohibition against the use of invectives. As of 15 minutes ago, that prohibition was restored.

I suggest everyone read the rules again. They are linked, above. Further use of invectives may cause your posting privileges at TFL to be revoked, at the discretion of any moderator that sees them.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:39 PM   #18
BGutzman

Can anyone explain what the thinking is as far as why the 2nd Amendment would be something other that a civil right? Im not saying you have to agree with the explanation but how is it even plausable?
Old January 12, 2012, 05:59 PM   #19
maestro pistolero

NY State and NYC's laws amount to an outright ban for residents of every other state, and therefore could not withstand even a rational basis test.

From the standpoint of exercising the 2A, if you are not a resident or NY, you might as well be living in DC or Chicago prior to the Heller or McDonald rulings.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:55 AM   #20
C0untZer0

It does seem like NYC is garnering more and more attention fror its gun laws, especially for snagging otherwise law-abiding cirizens:

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-police-thr...135225417.html
Old January 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Most of us that post here, and on other gun boards, are quite aware of the difficulties that are inherent with carry permits, as it impacts reciprocity between the various States.

Friends, we are a minority. Even among the population of carry permit holders.

Most people are not aware and do not know the vagaries of other State laws. Most people do think of their carry permit in the same terms as they think of their drivers licenses.

When thought of in that context, it is not surprising at all that people are going to get caught up in the criminal justice system for doing what they thought was right.

The average person might check their State website and see that a NY permit is accepted in their State. For the average person, that's as far as they will check: Seeing that a NY permit is accepted, in their State, the average person will make the natural (but erroneous) assumption that their permit is acceptable in NY.

Think I'm wrong? Go back and check the many, many threads we have, where someone asks those specific questions about traveling out of State with their permit.
Old January 24, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Musketeer

I just wish they would cut a deal and get national reciprocity for both permits and gay marriages tied together under full faith and credit. I couldn't care less who marries who and it would get enough traditionally anti gun politicians onboard to ensure overwhelming passage.

Old January 24, 2012, 12:19 PM   #23
stephen426

I have to agree with NJgunowner on this one.

Ignorance (or misinterpretation) of the law does not exempt someone from the law. The former marine should have done his homework better. While pretty much all of us feel that NYC's gun laws are ridiculous, the former marine is guilty of violating those laws. I hope he gets some lieniency as well on this one.
Old January 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #24
stephen426

3kgt2nv,

I would think twice about posting such personal information online for the world to see. You have at least some of your guns listed and their serial numbers, as well as your signature.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:42 PM   #25
TexasJustice7

Quote:
DO NOT BRING GUNS INTO NYC!!!! That rule applies to 99+% of you. Those here who can carry there already know they can because they have a NYC Permit or are LEO. NOBODY ELSE IS ALLOWED!!!
His mistake will cost him dearly. As for me, not only do I boycott Chicago, and the state of IL, I also boycott New York City, and anything made in New York. I do not like the laws there, so I don't go there. I would order any product from any country in the world over the internet before I would buy one made in NYC. In fact, I refuse to go to any state that does not honor my Texas carry permit. I realize that New York is not the same as New York City but NYC gives the entire state a bad name. If I had been born and raised there I would have moved and never went back. While I respect the right of their political leadership and legislative bodies to make the laws they see fit, I certainly do not owe them my business nor would I ever spend any money traveling there.

Last edited by TexasJustice7; January 24, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread