The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Spydr1299

Bullet not seating

Currently using the Lock n load ap press and run into a question. I'm using Winchester 9mm 115 fmj bullets to make my rounds. After inspecting my rounds, I'm able to push down on the bullet with my fingers and it will actually push down to the powder. Why is this? Before the Winchester, I was using hornady, same specs without the problem. Is this something that can be fired (I'm really assuming not). How can I fix this? Oh, yes, I'm new to reloading and have successfully shot all my hornady rounds. I just didnt want to have a problem with the Winchester bullets. Thanks for any help!
Old September 9, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
chris in va

I'd have to say something is up with your resizing die. Definitely don't fire those new rounds you made.

What is the diameter of the Winchester bullets?
Old September 9, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Spydr1299

355. I've made several adjustments, just can't seem to get it seated right
Old September 9, 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
chris in va

Is that the diameter on the label, or actual that you measured with calipers?
Old September 9, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Spydr1299

Label, I'll go out and measure with calipers in a bit and let you know
Old September 9, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Spydr1299

Calipers also show 355. May help to know that I'm using hornady titanium nitride 3 die set
Old September 9, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Tim R

Do you know the history of the brass? Could be a sign of worn out brass.

.355 is the same as your 9mm bullet. I would question your brass. Work hardened brass will not size properly and have the problem you are having.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Spydr1299

Brass is once fired S&B. Not exactly sure what you mean by work hardened.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Clifford L. Hughes

Spydr1299:

Make sure that your sizing die is adjusted. Your sizing die should squeez the case enough so that you can't insert a bullet with your fingers. The decapping die opens the case enough to hold the bullet. The seating and crimping die seats the bullet an it removes the flare. Depending on whoes dies that you are using some of these steps will be in a single die and other steps will be combined into one die.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; September 9, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: remove word
Old September 9, 2011, 04:15 PM   #10
engineermike

Before we get to seating and crimping, first size you case and see if the bullet will set into the case. If it does not, then check your expansion die and see if it is set to deep (Not adjusted properly). It should bell the case mouth just enough to put the bullet into the case and remain in the case all by itself. I have this set of dies that I have used for over a year and have never experienced this. Now that being said I have had to contact Hornady customer support for issues with their products a few times. They have always been able to resolve the issues I've had either by showing me where I went wrong or by sending me a replacement.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
PA-Joe

It's a final crimp issue. Tighten the crimp down just a little. The crimp is done by the seating die. Try 1/4 turn down.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Spydr1299

At a loss with this one, I've adjusted all the dies still with no luck, yet I can put in a 90gr hornady hallow point and work like it's supposed to. Weird I know. Winchester must put some sort of super lube on the bullet for it to be forced down like this. Thanks guys.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:49 PM   #13
dahermit

I had a similar problem this month. I switched from .357 cast 9MM bullets to cast bullets .356 in diameter for my .38 Super. I could not get the bullets from slipping into the case no matter what I did with the Lee Factory Crimp die. I did a little measuring and found that the cases were not being sized small enough while using a Lee carbide sizing die. I checked the Dillion expander, and it fared the case, but the rest of the expander was smaller than the inside of the case, so the expander was not making the cases oversize.

I sent for an Hornady Titanium Nitride .38 Super sizing die, and the problem was solved. When I sized a case in the Hornady die and compared it to one sized in the Lee die, it was obvious that the problem rested with the Lee sizing die

This is the first time in many, many years I have anything to complain about when it came to Lee dies. Anyway, the Lee die (by actual measurement), was not sizing the cases small enough for the .356 diameter bullet which many .38 Supers use as standard... I suspect that if I had ever loaded some .355 diameter bullets in the .38 Super cases, I would have run into the problem sooner.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #14
engineermike

Give Hornady a call Monday and see what they have to say. It will be worth the call just to listen to the prompts.

But as note: calipers are not the best to measure bullet diameter, if you have a micrometer I'd put that to the bullet and check its diameter.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Tim R

Quote:
It's a final crimp issue. Tighten the crimp down just a little. The crimp is done by the seating die. Try 1/4 turn down
Joe, I can't agree with you. The brass should be holding the bullet in place without a crimp. For those cailbers which head space on the mouth of the case, I only crimp enough to take the bell out.
Spydr, worn out brass is brass which has been reloaded enough the brass will not have any spring back when sized. This brass normally will go through a size die with little resistance. It seems to me the brass should be a little smaller than the bullet. This is why we have to bell. I also find it interesting said he did not have this problem with Hornady bullets only with Winchester bullets in. I've shot a lot of Win 9mm over the years.

Seems like I was having problems with S&B brass some years back.......don't remember.

Last edited by Tim R; September 11, 2011 at 02:56 AM.