The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2011, 12:33 AM   #1
fourrobert13

40 cal and Green Dot?

A few years ago I bought a metric ton of primers and powder from a buddy of mine that was getting out of reloading. I bought everything from Bullseye, Red Dot, Power Pistol, HS-6, WSF, and W231. Well I used up everything but the Green Dot I bought. I've got a pound of this stuff and a couple thousand rounds left to load (Misourri Bullets IDP #5) and I've go data to start working up a load. I was wondering if anyone has used Green Dot for 40 cal and if so, what kind of results did you get? I running them through a S&W M&P 40 if that helps.

Thanks
Old September 9, 2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Memnok

LoadData.com shows several loads for Green Dot and the 40 S&W. You'll have to provide a bullet weight to get any specifics.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old September 9, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
fourrobert13

Not really looking for any data because I have plenty. Mainly looking to see/hear what kind of results folks had using Green Dot for 40 cal. If it helps, IDP #5 is a 180gr TCFP Missouri Bullet.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
kealil

Didn't have great performance for me but it was fair. I stopped using it because I couldn't stand the smell that came when a round loaded with it was fired. Imagine the rotten eggs smell of red dot mixed with puke and that's roughly what it smells like. Sold my can after throwing up at the range after 50 rounds. ...
Old September 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
fourrobert13

Quote:
Didn't have great performance for me but it was fair. I stopped using it because I couldn't stand the smell that came when a round loaded with it was fired. Imagine the rotten eggs smell of red dot mixed with puke and that's roughly what it smells like. Sold my can after throwing up at the range after 50 rounds. ...
Lmao...fortunately, the odor shouldn't be much of an issue for me, but we'll see I guess. Not expecting match grade accuracy from the load, just some blasting ammo. Power Pistol gave me my best results of all the powders I listed and that's the load I use for IDPA matches. Red Dot did really well too.
Old September 11, 2011, 01:33 AM   #6
frumious

Never used it in .40 (I don't have a .40) but I have been using it in 9mm and .38spl for about 3.5 lbs now. I think it's great. Cheap (I got it on sale for $10/lb) and accurate, at least for me. I'd say give it a whirl. I think I have used it for .45 ACP too.

-cls
Old September 11, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
dunerjeff

I got a 4lb jug of it from my boss who used to reload shotgun.I use it in 40 and 45acp with good results.It is pretty consistant and didn't soot up the guns.I'll be getting another batch once this canister is gone.